Main eq bond

Woopee it's a clamp. It's now in the right place.

But I am impressed I'm getting immeasurably small resistance readings everywhere, including right back to the bathroom basin taps (

Reply to
Tim Watts

Is this ADS or EEBAD:-)?

Reply to
ARW

What are you doing? Using an old valve radio that needs amazing earths?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

The former now isn't it? Pretty sure it was EEBADS when I did my exam.

I'm not big on names, especially when they change just to mean the same thing!

So here goes:

"Live wire, phase, earth bond, bulb, "

That should give a few people apoplexy ;-)

On a serious note -

I am very much against the continual changing of nomenclature for the sake of it which we seem to get a lot of these days...

My water pipe has a main equipotential bond to the main earth terminal. So we might as well say it's earth-bonded. 90% of regular people at least know what that means. The other 10% would shove the wire into a pot plant on the window cill.

"PIR" was easy to say. Does anyone ask for an "EICR"?

I was trying to find a numerous picture of the earth wire thing. But I found this instead:

WTF? I did not know weed could do that (even superstrenghth weed).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Although to be fair, its a bit more than just a name change... with ADS one can forgo most of the supplementary EQ bonding.

nope, not biting ;-)

Indeed they will. The only problem with the nomenclature is that is actually makes understanding the reason for its existence a bit more difficult.

If you can keep the concepts of earthing and EQ bonding separate in your mind, the whole point that they do different things (limit the duration of a shock, vs limit its magnitude), by different mechanisms (opening a CPD with a fault current Vs limit potential difference) is much easier to get a grip on I find.

Yup agreed it does not add much. I suppose the fact that the P was not necessarily actually true is what sank that one.

That last photo in particular looks fairly scary... still I suppose the power was off by then!

Reply to
John Rumm

:->>>

I agree with that - it's just that folk who work with it will know that anyway - but ordinary folk just get more confused.

Reply to
Tim Watts

We still take are cars for an MOT test even though the MOT was abolished in 1970.

I dare say some people still refer to the electrical regs as IEE

There must be other historical agencys that are still around through common usage.

Reply to
Graham.

That was a silly name change IMO - "THe Institute of Electrical Engineers" is a very old name and caries quite some weight.

You have still buy "Type 1 MoT" at builder's merchants.

People will still talk about the "D(H)SS" even though that agency has not existed for over a decade.

Bombay?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Main problem I guess was confusion with the IEEE

Potato - yum ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

As a member at the time, I was never convinced that it was a good idea.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon