OT nearly at 'so long and thanks for the fish'

I have been using this newsgroup for over twent years, most recently via Google groups. It has now got to the stage were I am about to abandon it. I have read about other souces of news groups that can be accessed via Thunderbird, can somoen please advise and help.

With many thanks, Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

What are you abandoning - google groups or uk.d-i-y

for around the past 10 years I a get my Usenet groups via news.individual.net for 10 Euros per year and use Thunderbird as my news reader.

alan_m

Have a read of this:

For my provider, which is free, I use:

news.aioe.org

Reply to
Richard

+1
Reply to
S Viemeister

I use:

Which is also free, and found it to be more reliable than aioe.org. Not sure if that is still the case?

Reply to
Fredxx

I don't know really. I haven't noticed any significant unreliability, but have never approached the 40 messages per day limit.

Reply to
Richard

I switched to news.eternal-september.org, from my previous news server, and that has been pretty good.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, proper usenet client, and newsfeed is the way to go. That way you apply decent filters, to get shot of all the dross, until the current bunch of fuckwits lose interest. (and even then you can banish all the other time wasters you would rather skip over).

Judging by the mess that is currently showing in google groups, I am seeing < 1% of the spam - with probably 4 filters doing the bulk of the heavy lifting. When the odd one does creep through it is easy enough to just hit k to kill it[1]. (or tweak a filter to banish it forever)

[1] k will kill a thread in thunderbird - it hides the original post and any follow up messages to it. Del will delete a single message - even if it is a response to a thread you were interested in. Shift k will kill a sub thread - i.e. the message and anything that is posted as a follow up to it.

Drop me an email if you want specific instructions.

Reply to
John Rumm

  • another 1

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

WHS

Reply to
Spike

Me too.

Reply to
Davey

alan_m formulated the question :

Or free from news.eternal.september.org

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Which I assume is a message send limit, with no limit on recieved messages?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Yes

Reply to
Richard

this news group can be accessed via thunderbird via eternal September, or deja news to name but two

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

AIOE is free although the odd group is barred and you can only post a certain number of posts per day. It is reliable enough.

Another free option is Eternal September.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I have managed to connect TB to the eternal september news feed but the only groups that I can see appear to be their own local ones. Am I missing a trick?

Thanks Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

yes, you need to tick the box inside the TB news server settings to say "force authentication every time"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Have you checked the "Always request authentication when connecting to this server" on the Server Setting for you TB Eternal September entry?

I know I had something set wrong and could only see their local ones. I can't remember the problem, but it may have been that.

Reply to
SteveW

Doesn't seem to be the answer or does one need to wait a while?

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan