anti-seize compound on plumbing ?

Is it a good idea to put some kind of anti-seize compound when you install faucet valves etc. The idea is that years later you want to be able to easily unbolt, extract a valve stem etc without struggling with a blowtorch. This is because after you installed a valve that over time as it sits there the thing hardens making it very difficult to remove. So anti-seize compound is a good preventative measure. These are the same things used in automotive mechanics application, ie when they bolt things to the engine they would put it around the thread of the bolt and years later, it can be unbolted easily. The reason I am not sure is whether this is toxic or not, after all we still have to get water from the faucet for cooking etc. Any idea?

Reply to
Orc General

I don't think i'd use it there.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

Why not ? Half my city has lead paint used as a compound. The real reason you use it is to *allow the threads to go in deeper, threads seal, not any compound.

BTW, I just had a heavy metal blood test done. I'm clean. You have to ax for it. They send the sample to Calif. I have lead bodies (FB's) in my knee joint and needed to find out if that's a problem.

Reply to
Red Jacket

id rather not eat never-sieze thats all.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

Is this where plumbers grease or silicone grease could be used? I know lowes.com specifically says for use as a lubricant on faucet and valve stems.

Reply to
Eric and Megan Swope

silicone not plumbers

Reply to
Ned Flanders

"Richard Snow"

How ironic that you posted a message about how to post a message. Just do what you did before, but instead of asking how to post a message, just ask your question.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

I have a question about hot and cold water tank placings and thought that someone in your plumbing group may be able to help but I am new to news groups and whilst I can read them etc I have no idea where to start in joining them so that I can post a question. Please can you help? Richard

Orc General wrote:

Reply to
Richard Snow

replying to Orc General, Ryan Beck wrote: There?s company?s that make food grade anti-seize as well

Reply to
Ryan Beck