[OT] Most modern comedy is crap.

Which is a quote from Ade Edmonson noted on his IMDB page.

I realised that I seldom laugh very hard at modern comedies - perhaps just an amused chuckle. I assumed it was because I was getting oold and dulled.

Then I noticed "Bottom" was airing again on Netflix so I watched the first series. I laughed by bum off nearly as hard as I used to in the

70's and 80's when watching Blackadder, Benny Hill and Paul Hogan.

So I did start wondering why noone makes good rip roaring comedy any more?

Another Ade quote which perhaps sheds some light on the situation:

"There is a lot of rubbish written about toilet humor - people saying it is childish and pretending it is beneath them - but there is no doubting the effectiveness of a really good willy gag."

Half of Shakespeare consists of willy jokes. I did Henry V for English Lit O-Level. George Paxton our teacher spent the entire first lesson pointing them out.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I do more than that with Billy Connelly.

I assumed it was because I was getting oold and

I don?t.

Reply to
John Chance

If you have seen Peter Kay and not laughed then you have lost your sense of humour, or are a Southerner with no idea of how the rest of the country work. Also his acts do not rely on toilet humour!

Reply to
Broadback

No, it just shows how personal a sense of humour is. I do not like Peter Kay's "humour" to the point of changing channel.

But I do like lots of comedians that others apparently do not like :)

Reply to
Lee

I think we're getting old.

I suspect you like the comedy you grew up with (and indeed, music ditto). I love Billy Connelly, but nearly all modern comedy leaves me completely cold.

I am quite fond of "Episodes", although that's rather patchy.

Reply to
Huge

Benny Hill in the same list as BlackAdder?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah - another of my favourites. I still preferred Blackadder but BC comes a close second.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not in my book. The only Benny Hill episode I thought funny was when he was dodging bullets in a garden gnome factory, and gnomes were being hit left, right and centre.

Reply to
Davey

Benny Hill? Funny? About as funny as acid diarrhea and haemarrhoids.

Reply to
Huge

Can't say I ever have. Having a look at what I can find of his now.

and not laughed then you have lost your sense

Reply to
John Chance

That would be funny if it was Tony B Liar on the receiving end.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Although I hate British stand-up with a vengeance, I have to admit that Peter Kay just *is* a funny bloke. He could read the weather forecast and make you laugh. No need for gags, no toilet humour, and no victims. This is running on the BBC (occasionally they produce something decent by accident)

Reply to
stuart noble

A man who I would like to see flayed alive & boiled to death in brine made with his own urine.

Reply to
Huge

Thank you - I'll check him out on youtube.

I hate the "nasty" type of humour (Jimmy Carr)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, people tend to mistake shock tactics for humour. One thing I've noticed as well is that even radio comedy is unfunny. Its ften so contrived you can spot it coming a mile off Audio description on tv comedy for the blind, we have decided, is no good as anyone explaining a visual gag you did not witness is unlikely to laugh at it.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Do you listen to Ed Reardon's Week on R4? Brilliant. And you'd not worry about your maiden aunt listing to it. :-)

IMHO, most of the R4 sitcoms are miles better than TV ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In my mind, the apostrophe stands for "Ed Reardon is weak" ... because as comedy it is.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ok. All a matter of taste.

Only R4 sitcom I couldn't stand is/was Count Arthur Strong. Favourite maybe Cabin Fever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He of the superfluous 'o'

So on those two I think we can agree ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Cabin Pressure? I liked that a lot.

Reply to