[OT] Most modern comedy is crap.

Are you going to share them?

Mostly dramas, but it even happens in documentaries.

Reply to
Nightjar

Knew it was one of them.

I remember now, he was on the lash with RM in London and RM asked him were they were and Billy said something about the chap who wrote "the streets of London" not knowing anything about the streets of London.

Reply to
soup

Another R4 fan. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well yes, but I didn't pick that snippet up from there.

An article I read somewhere.

Reply to
Chris French

I find "Early Doors" to be a very funny, sometimes sad, observational comedy. Now running on Gold I believe. You will be very lucky to find pubs like that now.

Reply to
critcher

First time I saw him, I couldn't understand a damned word he said :-(

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I had to give up watching Rab C Nesbitt because it annoyed my partner so much that I was laughing at things she had not even understood.

Reply to
Nightjar

Ah. There was a bit about the Jaws model not working as it should the other day.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If I remember, it was called Bruce and was indeed very unreliable. And that's going from memory from the original film production.

Reply to
Davey

I thought he wrote the streets of London, but was actually describing his experience in Paris.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I'm sure I remmember the hump back whales in the 4th star trek film the voyage home were so good they fooled quite a few people intom believing they were real evem some well meaning enviomentalist that protested at their use in the film. Poor George and Gracie.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I never saw that film, but I did see several extracts. Were they not CGI rather than 'real'? 'Walking with Dinosaurs' showed what could be done quite early on.

Reply to
Davey

No this was 1986, animatronics rather than CGI.

that was 10+ years later.

Reply to
whisky-dave

It wasn't Monkey Dust itself that was in bad taste, just the ghastly ills of a post Thatcher British society it was 'poking fun' at. Not so much 'poking fun' as poking the proverbial ten foot barge pole at the shit heap that British society, institutions and services had descended into.

Whilst there was some level of humour in the threaded sketches, a lot of it was basically dead pan allegory with, at best, humour only of the blackest kind (it was *all* dark humour).

Reply to
Johnny B Good

The only one in that list that I enjoyed watching was "The IT Crowd". The rest were just a little too humdrum, 'fly-on-the-wall', or soap opera- ish styled for my liking. Too much effort for so little return imho.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

ISTR that the BBC opted to suppress the laughter track (as per the creators' original desire) when they broadcast the series.

Interesting enough the box set of the show (11 seasons on 36 disks!) has the option to turn the laugh track on or off.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

It's weird, I hated The Office (UK version) but I really liked the US version. Partly because Steve Carrel is quite good at playing "straight but loopy" and partly because the other characters were quite likeable, even when they were generally cast to be "evil".

It's the sort of place I would like to work (well, attend work, I doubt much work would happen). Whereas the UK version just reminds me too much of places I have worked (in a not good way).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Although a spin-off from The Office, I really enjoyed Parks and Rec. Series 1 was a bit tentative but, once it got going, some good characters emerged. Ron Swanson has rightly become a legend, not least because of his d-i-y skills.

Reply to
stuart noble

Due to the smoking ban IMHO.

Reply to
ARW

A lot of subjects are taboo these days due to the various political correctitudes in vogue. Eg race (Irish jokes). Woman (The loony harpies/women drivers). We have so many fragile little egos these days. All part of government attempts at thought control.

Reply to
harry