[OT] More on green cars

Well my father bought it already converted. In the end it failed its mot as the chassis was a little twisted, but nobody cared much before, and yes it was a van with the two rear doors. Back in the day we used to do really daft dangerous things by today's standards. I can well remember when 11 years old sitting cross legged on the floor in the back with the seat removed sliding up and down as the vehicle accelerated and braked. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff
2CV anyone? Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff

The drivers are not paying for the fuel. Hence no incentive to charge them from the mains.

Reply to
harry

You missed the point. Used properly, it could have done 130 mpg

Reply to
harry

In Summer, my car runs on sunlight = infinity?

Reply to
harry

Yes children often sat on adults' laps, though the law drew the line at a woman feeding her baby while driving.

Reply to
Max Demian

but 19 years ago, I saw just that happening on the Naples (motorway) bypass.

Reply to
charles

As kids we often went in the back of the open truck. I remember hanging over the back trying to convince the following car I was dead, I don't think it worked lol.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Just as true of water. Doesn?t make it food.

Reply to
Jane

Food: any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink or that plants absorb *in order to maintain life and growth*.

So in particular with repsect to plants, apart from carbon dioxide, they need no organic food at all. Their food is sunlight. Or hashlamps.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Neither water nor salt are nutritious substances. No nutrients in either.

Irrelevant to what is food for humans.

Reply to
Jane

Try living without them.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Well quite.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It is no surprise that hybrid company fleet cars never get charged - the drivers are mostly selfish salesmen on expenses. Why should they care?

Weight doesn't make all that much difference to the mpg unless you do a lot of stop start driving.

At cruise speed the weight of the vehicle really only affects rolling friction ever so slightly. Wind resistance is usually dominant at speeds above 55mph unless your car is extremely low and streamlined.

The lifetime average of my diesel is 61.4mpg on 162k miles travelled.

Admittedly it spends a lot of time on motorways but about 10% on very twiddly country roads too. The best it can manage is 80mpg at a steady

50mph on motorways which is what it did when I moved a 10" lathe.
Reply to
Martin Brown

In article <131120181812275483% snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net, Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net writes

Staple diet in Glasgow - plus fish supper.

Reply to
bert