On Green Woodworking

A hypothetical for your ponderment.

A wooddorker finds a bit of spare space in his yard^H^H^H^H shop, and decides to quickly erect a stout bench from the materials at hand. Let's say the wooddorker finds some somewhat straight, and somewhat cheap dimensional lumber at the local BORG and sets out to build a functional bench from green douglas fir (not really a fir, but this is common usage and I don't really have time discuss vagaries of the various conifers for sale locally, though they are an extremely interesting species), complete with carefully cut/milled/trimmed square dog holes for a beefy iron bench dog.

And let's further say that as the wood seasons, the bench dog holes shrink, making it impossible to use the beefy bench in the bench.

*sigh*

DAMHIKT.

Humbly submitted,

Single-Stop O'Deen

Reply to
Patrick Olguin

Patrick Olguin did say:

Better race right out to

and get those $275 rosewood handled chisels to widen the dog holes a skosh...

Reply to
WoodMangler

I think the holes are going to get bigger, not shrink unless you add water regularly. ;~) You gotta think shrink the other way.

Reply to
Leon

No. The piece of wood that keeps the hole sides apart shrinks, hence by this shrincage you hose the whole hole.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

What if you accelerated the dogs themselves to near the speed of light. Don't they fit then? I guess they get heavy, but...

Reply to
patrick conroy

On 15 Oct 2004 09:32:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) calmly ranted:

I know a few people who have screwed themselves that way, too. DAMHIKT.

Birdseye SPF? Wunnerful!

How many times did we tell yo^H^Hcertain people that 1) ROUND DOGS RULE! and 2) PINEYWOOD SUCKS!, hmmmmm?

Condolences to the sorry suckah suffering from that tale.

Maybe you could mount it in your two-piece WorkMutt and...

LJ, who just finished making two replacement spacer bars for his carving bench.(A coupla kerf-widths between tenons makes quite a difference after all when the stiffener is in the middle of a 39" tall leg.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------- A PSYCHOLOGIST looks at everyone -else- ||

an attractive woman enters the room. || Full Website Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

chisel. open 'em up a bit.

Reply to
bridger

See what you get for working so fast? I built a similar Bench-by-Borg(tm) and, since the lumber sat in my gar^h^hshop for several months and through at least one episode of SantaAna weather phenomena, they were essentially kiln-dried by glue-up time. And SWMBO thought I was just being lazy.

Just make yer dogs outta similar Borg lumber so when they're dry they'll fit right smartly.

Cheers, Mike

Reply to
Mike

Trouble is, they'll only shrink in the direction of motion, so they'll get shorter but not slimmer. Kinda like old age.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Hmmm...I haven't noticed that problem. But I have kinda gone from boxwood to white pine.

Reply to
mark

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

more befitting your status as Galoot Emeritus Maximus,

my father taught me, "If it don't fit...."

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch