OT: Kids today....

So there I was telling my 27 year old daughter about a funny Mattessons ad on the telly, where the tag line is "You Must be Hank Marvin".

& her mates all use the expression Hank Marvin (to mean starving).

She said "is Hank Marvin a real person then"?

I had to explain....

... and do the dance.

Kids today.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm sure if I saw your daughter I wouldn't be thinking "kid"!!

Reply to
Fredxx

Well how about that. Generally speaking I never knew any of the names of any backing group.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I asked a "youngster" the other day who the fourth name would be after John, Paul, and George - and they gave me the blankest, haven't a clue look!! The world is coming to the end!

Reply to
JIP

Yes - I saw the ad and hadn't a clue what they were on about. Although enjoyed it. Won't after it's been on for ever, as they do. Thanks for explaining it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Good point that Dave. The yung uns won't know who Hank Marvin was and the oldies won't know that it means 'starvin'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I actually find that rather encouraging.

Reply to
stuart noble

If you saw his daughter, chances are you would be thinking:

"Ow" and "So this is what the inside of an ambulance looks like"

Reply to
Tim Watts

Both true and one might think dim witted advertising excutives but are they? We are talking about their ad and I for one would probably have not otherwise been aware of it...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just asked No.1 Daughter (15) the same question with the context of pop music. Bit of thought, "Is that the Beatles?", yes "Ringo". So the world isn't quite coming to an end yet.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well come on then, put us out of our misery and tell.

Reply to
dennis

I'd be thinking '40 years ago Id be thinking of shagging that, today it just bores me.'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

???????????????????

Even my Grandad at 90 managed to pull a 66 year old. And he used to put a "do not disturb" sign up on his door when she visited.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I should do advertising

ARWadsworth

Stupid boy.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

There was a time me and another engineer eventually worked out why the quick about Jimmey Hendrix' modem being a purple hayes was supposed to be funny. I knew nothing about Hendix and had never heard of Purple Haze, and hen knew nothing about modems!

Reply to
John Rumm

Needless to say, I had to put that to the test by showing the ad to wife and son. Wife has no idea Hank Marvin means starvin', and son hasn't a clue who Hank Marvin is.

Oh well - I tried son with John, George and Paul, and he knew Ringo. Not bad for an 11 year old. Bet he doesn't know the significance of 259 and

266 though :-)
Reply to
News

But the Hank Marvin - Starvin was not known, she suggested it was mockney.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's been used for ages in London. Not mockney, just slightly up-to-date rhyming slang.

Reply to
John Williamson

So many references, so little time...

I caught half a dozen or so sixties classics in the pictures and probably missed a few more.

Reply to
John Williamson