Tidy?

We were looking for a multimeter at work the other day. No fruit at the time but have since stumbled on it.

We've a new 'tidy' member of staff who because it had been left out had put it in a drawer with some other completely unrelated items, somewhere you'd never have thought to look.

It reminded me of when my tidy sister came to stay at my house some years ago and the phone got cut off. Thinking i'd no outstanding bills and certainly no reminder, a penny dropped that i'd not seen any mail for a while so I enquired. She'd been putting my mail under the stairs unhappy with the way I didn't immediately deal with it.

I can't decide if we should all be be tidy, communicate better or just leave each other's shit alone.

Reply to
R D S

Totally agree. SWAMBO has a habit of putting things in so called ?safe places? then promptly forgets where they are resulting in hours spent looking for them only to find them weeks later in a totally unrelated place.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky
<snip>

I'd go with the latter and it's a plan that generally works well here [1]. ;-)

A non technical mate was asking me for help on some compressor hose / connections and I asked him for a close-up picture of the fitting(s) and some measurements with the vernier caliper I'd suggested he get a while back and I'd see if I could help him sort something out.

It turns out the vernier had been 'Put away' in his lockup several miles away, in spite of him having a massive empty house and proportionally large and mostly empty (brick built) 'shed' with an empty toolbox?

Wouldn't that sort of thing be in a 'man' / bits draw somewhere, if not in a workshop? I have one in nearly every room (and the workshop), that way I can always find one. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] The Mrs wouldn't know what half of my stuff is / does so doesn't even try to 'tidy it up'. Plus, why should she? ;-)
Reply to
T i m

Oh, they all do that ;-)

I leave my own paperwork and letters out, until it has been completely dealt with - that is my glue to deal with it, once it has been dealt with it is filed, or destroyed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Now extend that to food choices.

Reply to
Richard

What 'choices' are you giving the animals then?

With tidying up, rarely does someone have to suffer or die.

You really are desperate trying to justify your desire to cause suffering, exploitation and death towards innocent creatures aren't you?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You should put *her* under the stairs until she learns not to mess with stuff that is not her business.

Reply to
Tim Streater

He will not.

BTW I am having Zebra tonight for dinner.

Reply to
ARW

Now be a good boy, eat your greens and let others eat theirs choice of food.

Reply to
Richard

You were right.

A whole one?

Reply to
Richard

No. I'll stick the rest in the freezer for later.

Reply to
ARW

Hosts in Israel in 1973 gave me some really nice Zebra butties (with a choice of brown sauce or tomato ketchup).

Reply to
Robin

nice. very tasty, is zebra

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bit like marmite. Love it or hate it. You know, not grey but good old black and white.

Reply to
Richard

This is the "man cave" concept.

That towels belong on the bathroom floor. That's a man cave.

The perception of housing, of males and females is different. For the female, the condition of the house is a reflection of her. If anything is out of place, a visiting female will award a demerit for the infraction. Via continuous-community-chat, the demerit will make the rounds, for all to hear about. "She obviously does not own a Hoover."

As an example of an obscure metric, pick up one of your drinking glasses, one with a "fog" on the finish because it isn't atomic-scientist-clean. There are severe demerits for dish washing skills, even if a machine did it. It reflects that the maintainer did not put enough attention into details. I've heard so many stories about foggy drinking glasses, I'm sick of it :-) The description always begins with a setup, validating why atomic-scientist examination was attempted. The person here wasn't actually thirsty, and the first part of the sentence is an embellishment.

"I wanted to have a drink of water, took a look at her drinking glasses, and decided "better not"."

An atomic-scientist did not approve this glass. Only electron microscopy will determine what foul substance is on the glass. "Burn it with fire" would be an example of a response. We must find a way to purge the item, to make it whole again. There will be a ceremony. You will have to dry the item, as she washes them. And so on.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I've only got myself to blame. During the last lockdown I've had a massive clear out and tidy up. Now that I'm back to doing some DIY I cant find stuff that I know I kept :(

Reply to
alan_m

Well, it's probably something. ;-)

Funnily that's one of the few things that don't generally happen here. ;-)

I think it used to be, that's for sure, now however, I think many men have been browbeaten, indoctrinated by TV, the 'do up your house to this std form' shows so have lost that cause. ;-(

Ah, that bit is probably true (for many).

That's probably partly why we don't encourage visitors. ;-)

Crazy. I'll tip the remains of the tea out of a mug, fill it with water from the cold tap and drink it. I guess this is why those sorts of people don't go camping but demand a mint on their pillow.

It may not be just chance that brought my Mrs and I together as I don't have to deal with any of that. She's certainly not 'SWMBO' and the arrangement is mutual.

But I agree, I think it's sad we have gone from having homes where we would do most things, inc service the motorbike in the kitchen if required and now seem to be as obsessed with the 'demeriting' (or fear thereof) from someone who isn't even connected or have any real status over you.

If the Mrs couldn't get to the kitchen because I was working on something in there (like a cycle, motorbike engine or the washing machine), all she would ask is that I did the cooking for fear of her moving or disturbing something. There is a good reason she's so supportive, it could be her cycle or motorbike engine I'm working on. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The solution to that is to designate a couple of specific locations as the safe places and put things there instead of random places that seem sensible at the time. For small items we designated a ceramic kitchen pot with a lid (about 8" diameter and 12" tall and standing on the kitchen worktop) and literally referred to that as "A Safe Place".

Reply to
Steve Walker

Tell me about it. I have a place for tubes of glue. But that's not where I put the balsa cement...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As a blind person let me say that one has to be tidy ones self, but not allow any others to use their form of tidy in your house as that means you will never find anything whatsoever. One would think if we all share the same biology and brain design that a logical place to put stuff for one would be the same for somebody else. No its not, and for goodness sake if all your cds are filed, never let others take them out read the booklet and put them back as in a couple of visits, you will need to do the filing over again. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa