CDC says no evictions

until the end of 2020. Once again, the feds are sticking their noses where they don't belong.

Dean Hoffman

Yep. During a pandemic, we need lots of homeless wandering the streets. You and Trump seem to be a pair, zero compassion for your fellow man.

How do you feel about people that died for your country, are they losers and suckers?

Reply to
Dan Espen

Two different issues. Should people be evicted and made homeless right now? Probably not.

Should the Federal government issue orders for which it has not authority to do so? No. Rep. Thomas Massie of Kentucky, also a Republican, said that rental contracts are governed by state law and that there is no room for federal authority to overturn them.

What about the landlord? Is he given a pass by the mortgage company? Property taxes? He has obligations too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Landlords with Freddie or Fannie backed loans get some protection. Other landlords will probably need some assistance. Note that it won't help them one bit to evict a tenant and end up with an empty rental unit.

In an emergency the Federal Government has more powers than it otherwise would. For example there were caravans of invaders and rapists heading for our southern borders. We had to declare an emergency to build a wall. The president decided due to this emergency he could spend money congress did not authorize.

In this case, congress passed a bill, and the president signed it. But you think that is such a violation of the constitution that we should let the homeless wander the streets trying to get by without any means to do so. So, you don't care about others and you're too thick to see that your own safety would be at risk so you come here complaining the about the feds.

But I'm still curious about these losers and suckers. Are you going to be a loyal Trumper and hop on the bandwagon or not?

Reply to
Dan Espen

Where are they going to live when the property goes into default because the land lord can't pay his bills? It's funny how you democrats assume every landlord is independently wealthy just collecting rent for beer money. Are the cities and counties waiving utility fees and taxes?

Reply to
gfretwell

There are still renters out there who can pay rent. The problem is the ones who can't are still squatting in the unit and eating your money. Fannie Freddie may defer your payments but those payments still need to be paid and that interest is still racking up. It is unlikely the deadbeat will ever pay you the back rent, they would move, sticking you with the bills. There is a discussion going on among a bunch of landlords in another group I am in and there are plenty of renters who are still paying their bills. It seems to be clusters who don't, usually in areas with lots of people in the impacted industries like bartenders and other folks from server world.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yeah throw those leaches out on the street. Kids and all. You are pathetic.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

What about landlords who have no mortgage.

My propety taxes aren't due until next June, iirc.

What about landlords in that situation?

Reply to
micky

If the landlord goes belly up they may end up on the street anyway. There is no rule that works for all.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My taxes are due in December. The town also needs money to provide services.

Landlords with no mortgage will still end up getting screwed if the tenant does not pay.

Somehow, the perception is all landlords are just mean people taking money from the poor renters. They are people investing a lot of money to provide a service, just as any business. They need income to be solvent and feed their own families. Speaking in generalities, of course, is wrong. Many different situations.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The point I was trying to make is that isn't the federal government's place to issue decrees like that. That would belong at the state level if anywhere. First would be for the renter to look very closely at his budget. It's really easy for wants to become needs after awhile. Next would be for the tenant and landlord to discuss the issue. It isn't in the landlord's interest to have a vacant dwelling. He'd be better off collecting a lower rent than none at all. Landlord isn't spelled "monopoly". The renter's only option isn't necessarily between his current residence and the street. There could be places that serve his needs, not wants, at a lower price. Free enterprise does a lot of good things. Individuals looking after their own best interests collectively accomplish more than they would with some aristocracy telling them how to live their lives.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. From time to time we've been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. Well, if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?"

-- Ronald Reagan, January 20, 1981

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

You're just making that up aren't you? Any instances of that happening?

Assuming the landlord somehow looses title to the property, the bank becomes the new landlord. The same no eviction rules still apply.

That's why the bank won't foreclose on the property.

You know, when you've been shown to be morally bankrupt hiding behind an excuse like that just digs you into a deeper hole.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Again making crap up.

No one is calling landlords mean. Not here, and not by the lawmakers that saw the need for the no eviction rule. They made up rules to help renters, the common citizen and businesses. They'll continue to do so until this emergency is behind us.

What did you do with your check?

I got one and didn't need it. i gave the money to my favorite charity.

There would have been another check sent out to everyone but Moscow Mitch blocked it.

Reply to
Dan Espen

YOU are free to provide them with a home using your own money and property.

Reply to
Roger Blake

You are a perfect example of why the American Left needs to be utterly and completely eradicated.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Is that the same Ronnie Reagan that made a deal with Iran to not let the hostages go until after he got elected?

The same one that sold weapons to Iran so he could carry out a war in Nicaragua that congress forbid him to do?

As I said, in an emergency the federal government can take on lots of powers. Legally.

But go ahead, start a lawsuit. Then tell us how you're just enforcing a fine point of law. You really aren't trying to create a massive disease spreading homeless population.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Who pays the landlord's mortgage, taxes and the utilities the deadbeat renter sticks them with? If you really want to be a communist, let the government pay their rent. Fuck it, just print the money. Nothing bad can come from that.

Reply to
gfretwell

There probably are not that many of them. As much as you democrats like to think all landlords are millionaires sucking the blood out of their poor tenants, the reality is there are lots of them who are just ordinary folks who use property rental as a supplement to their income. Without those people, there would not be as many rental properties available for people who don't want to or can't afford to own a home.

The long range effect of this is going to be to make it harder for people with marginal incomes to rent at all.

November here, after that the county starts tacking on interest until the drop dead date in the spring. It still doesn't matter since the landlord is not making the money he will need to pay that tax.

Reply to
gfretwell

So bankrupting the landlord is perfectly fine with you? Maybe he would be the one on the street. I guess you like that idea. The long term effect of this is it is going to be far harder for people to get approved for a lease in the first place from now on so they will still be on the street. If I was a landlord I might only rent to a person with a pension or some other assured income and certainly not to anyone with a shaky job.

BTW there is a loophole in that "no eviction" thing that some landlords are testing in court as we speak. If the lease expires or a tenant breaks the lease in any way, they can be tossed as a holdover tenant. They no longer have a lease and it is not a question of rent anymore. They are trespassing.

Reply to
gfretwell

There is a question of how they are paying for this. I suppose Weimar Nancy thinks we can just keep printing money out of thin air forever.

Reply to
gfretwell