roof nails sticking up

I have budgeted myself to have a new roof installed within two years. There is an small area of water damage in my bedroom that looked like was attempted to be repaired by the previous owner, and had new water damage once in two years.. I have noticed that there are nails starting to stick up under the shingles, and have even started to pop out above the shingles in a few places. I am having my garage roof replaced next week. I had several roofers out for estimates, and had them look at the house's roof with these problems. They said that the house's roof does not necessarily have to be replaced right away..

Should I tap back the nails and caulk them until I get the roof replaced? Is that even necessary to do, and I can just ride out until later on when I get the new roof put on?

Reply to
Chris

"Chris" wrote in news:1163629422.456951.36200 @b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

If the nails are popping up it's because they are not being held by the sheathing. Often because it is soft or rotten. At minimum as a band-aid, put some roofing cement on the popped up nail where it enters the roof. This will insure the hole is sealed when the nail is banged back in. Bang the nail back in if the sheathing will hold it. Cover the nail head with roofing cement.

On the ones that have even started to pop out above the shingles in a few places, replace the shingle if possible. If not then do the above with the nail. Put lots of cement on the nail head so when you press the shingled back down the cement will seal the pop-thru hole.

Not a roofer. Just my unprofessional .02.

Reply to
Al Bundy

If the nails that are backing out are framing nails, I pull the nails (with a wood protector block under the hammer). I next check with a piece of stiff wire to see if the nail was into something below the sheathing. If not, use roof cement or silicone to seal hole. If framing is felt under hole, use deck screw slightly larger and about

1/2 longer than nail to refasten in same hole, then seal hole in shingles.
Reply to
Mr.E

Any time that I have seen roofing nails coming through the shingles was caused by a pneumatic nailer not adjusted correctly. Most roofers will hammer the nail heads flush to prevent this.

I would set the nails, if you can do so by lifting the tab (use a flat bar or putty knife and slide it under the tab of the shingle) and hitting the nail would be more preferable then hammering from the top side.

Someone mentioned silicone, I would NEVER use it on a shingle. Use roof cement, it will last longer and bond better.

-Lee

starting

above

Reply to