OT Jury service. At 75? Are they serious?

Never been called. The wife was, but we'd just moved house and the summons went to the old address. Wrote back and told them that and she was excused. She's never been called again, either.

Reply to
Huge

Talk to your doctor, had any form of mental illness or any kind of sensory impairment. I got out of it on the fact I was blind, but i could have been really cussed and wanted to do it at which point all court material would have had to be made available as electronic text or audio, which the clerk told me when I declinesd they did not have the budget for so they dreaded any of us blindies saying yes. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Oh yes it is, you go in, then hang about for ages and some time they then come and say not needed come back tomorrow etc. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The real problem is the length of time between you arriving and them deciding that they don't need you. When I was called, I made sure I claimed for every penny of expenses (travelling, parking) because I felt really annoyed that they had taken me away from my work to do... nothing but sit around. I'm one of those people who finds it very difficult to concentrate on a book in a crowded waiting room where there are people bustling around and talking, so I kept getting distracted from my novel every few minutes, so time passed very slowly.

Normally I'm not so penny-pinching about expenses, but I thought "I'm here under extreme sufferance so they don't get owt for nowt". :-)

Reply to
NY

Think it depends on where you live. Courts seem to have a catchment area for jurors. On my first stint, I knew one by sight. And London has the Old Bailey which gets its jurors from the London pool.

I was staff at the time, so didn't loose out on income. Unlike some who did - rather unfair, IMHO. Chatted to one who worked IIRC in a supermarket, and whose income was made up with overtime. Which wasn't taken into account for expenses.

Personally I don't think it a good idea to do many jury stints. You sort of learn the jargon and start reading between the lines. For example, if the accused has no record of a similar crime, the defence makes a big point of this. If they don't, you tend to guess they have a record as long as your arm. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Crime and Punishment", perhaps

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Lucky you! I've only done it once (two juries) and found it very interesting if also quite draining.

Reply to
newshound

in 40 years of being qualified, I have been called up once and then they cancelled that before I even turn up

never been picked again :-(

tim

Reply to
tim...

and the "wrong sort of person" would likely apply

tim

Reply to
tim...

Like politicians then?

I would not mind a week off work, a bit of free food and the chance to tax my brain without an apprentice anywhere in sight.

Reply to
ARW

Throw a sicky. Go see you doctor.

Reply to
ARW

I noted that if there was police officer in the public gallery, it was to give details of previous convictions if the defendant was found guilty,

Reply to
charles

It's normally 2 weeks, but when I was called, there was a trial estimated to last 10 weeks in No 1 Court. I was lucky, I knew the judge and he said "I can't have anyone I know on the jury in my court."

Reply to
charles

only in so far as he was the Chairman of our Village Hall management committee - and I was Vice-Chairman.

Reply to
charles

Blame the scrotes for pleading guilty at the last minute.

Reply to
GB

ARW pretended :

Well, they tax everything else..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

*Applause*
Reply to
Huge

Our Crown Court was accessible. But each court had four separated entrances (dock, jury, judge, public)

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have done it once. Three juries (and I was foreman on them all!)

Reply to
Bob Eager

I did. Spent most of the time chatting to other people in the jury room.

Reply to
Bob Eager