OT Jury service. At 75? Are they serious?

I did it twice both at snarebrook, the options given were that you basicall y were recurented for 2 weeks but if you'd done a week you could be asked t o be excused for the 2nd week they also asked for those that could go on ca ses that lasted longer than two weeks you could opt into such a case provid ing your employer didn't mind or word to thsat effect.

But you can't turn up at 10am, I think our time was 9:15am one case went on until 4:30. They want you all togethter before going into the court room y ou can't stroll in just anytime. For me the worst part was if yuo werentl called so had to stay in the build ing from when you arrived until about 4:00pm. One case we were called in at about 3:30 just to hear the defendant sworn i n and then we left, but at least the next day we could get on with the case straight away.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I noticed that while I was on jury service a few other people that also worked in the same place as me also had jury service and that went on for a couple of months more peole arround me doing jury service then it all seemed to stop. So I'm not sure if they use the electoral role or whether they pick areas where peolpe are employed and use those areas for 'random' selection.

Whn my dad did it about 2 years defore so in the mid 80s there was a box for OAPs and if you were one then you could opt out.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In those days, the cut off age was 65 (or even 60). It crept up to 70, then 75 last year. (well, 76 effectively)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Do you happen to know whether it's the same for men and women ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Apparently the chance of being called during your lifetime is 30-35%. Is there some kind of sucker list?

Reply to
Max Demian

That obviously depends on what is going on. My first day we were all sent home at about 1pm.

Reply to
charles

They must have nearly doubled the pool of potential jurors when the system accepted women.

Reply to
charles

It must be; it's the same question on the electoral registration form.

Reply to
Bob Eager

"if someone needed the toilet we all went."

Huh. We only had one toilet!!

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes - it's odd. Have friends who have lived in the same area as me for about the same time and never called.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perhaps needing that more frequently than the court would be happy with might be a let-out, especially for those of us of advancing years.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Think it's referring to the toilet facilities in the jury room. Older courts may well only have one - from the days only men sat on juries. A modern court I was on jury service at had two.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Blimey, they'll be giving them the vote next!

Reply to
mechanic

I was wondering that. Between us my wife, kids and I have over 100 years of eligible service, and we've never been called.

BTW don't judges retire at 75?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

70 - unless they were over 70 when the new age limit came in; then it was 75.
Reply to
charles

Both my mother and father were called, as was an uncle (he was called twice and each time had already booked a holiday abroad - he was excused on both occassions, but with very poor grace the second time). I and my wife (in our early fifties) have never been called so far and I dread it. I am hourly paid and cannot afford the time off, plus I am diabetic and have periods where I get very sleepy unless I am heavily involved in doing something or can get up and walk around for a bit. Sitting listening to people is my worst case scenario. Oh and I have almost zero memory for names and faces and would struggle to follow anything that might involve a number.

SteveW

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Get a letter of excuse from the Doctor, if ever called.

Reply to
soup