Quality precision screwdriver set wanted, plus weird heads set as well

I'm trying to find a decent quality set of precision screwdrivers along wit h all the wierd an wonderful heads that can be found nowadays, here's an ex ample.

I'm just sick and tired of having one set for this one set for that packet for the next it's just a pain in the rear don't want to spend a fortune but will go up to £100 for the right kit.

Any suggestios apart from stick to what i have?

TIA

Reply to
all1word

I have, and like, some Wiha system 4 drivers. I don?t know if they do all the bits you want, and this set:

is slightly outside your price range, but you don?t have to get a full set. I got mine from Farnell.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

+1 for Wiha. I was going to say the same thing.
Reply to
Bob Eager

ifixit have sets with all kinds of weird bits used by manufacturers to be annoying:

I've used some - quality seemed fine, but I didn't use them all day to measure wear and tear.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Firstly sorry for the delay i have been a bit busy with other stuff, second ly thanks for all the replies i do like the look of Wiha kit but by the tim e i get all the heads (no jokes please) i need i think i will be way over m y budget and the Mrs will have my balls for earrings so that is a no go but i do like Thoe's suggestion for ifixit stuff so will be going for that jus t got to work out what set, so once again many thanks for the replies gents .

All1

Reply to
all1word

ndly thanks for all the replies i do like the look of Wiha kit but by the t ime i get all the heads (no jokes please) i need i think i will be way over my budget and the Mrs will have my balls for earrings so that is a no go b ut i do like Thoe's suggestion for ifixit stuff so will be going for that j ust got to work out what set, so once again many thanks for the replies gen ts.

I idly wonder whether one could get a cheap set & retemper them.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You mean harden and temper.

Cheaper might just be the difference between carbon steel and decent Cr/Mo/Va as used for spanners. You might get the hardness up but leave them brittle.

Reply to
newshound

yes

Carbon steel isn't bad. Cheap tools tend to lack hardness. Plastic handles are easily replaced.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Decent spanners are made from chrome moly or chrome vanadium steel for a reason.

Reply to
newshound

Of course. Carbon steel still makes reasonable quality screwdrivers.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

When I was just starting out chrome moly or chrome vanadium tools were very expensive (but worth buying on the basis that you only have to buy them once).

Nowadays I see (what claim to be) Cr/Mo/Va combinations on market stalls for next to nothing, but haven't need to buy any. Is this a sign of cheap Chinese manufacturing processes or are these tools just made of butter and labelled Cr/Mo/Va.

Reply to
Chris B
[27 lines snipped]

I'd strongly suspect the latter.

Reply to
Huge

Indeed. A great number of my 'heavy' tools were bought by me 50 years ago. I started with a cheap (non Cr/No/Va) socket set and a toolbox. I added 'proper' stuff as I found I needed it, or the original things broke. I still have the same half inch drive ratchet handle and long bar, and a load of nice sickets, and spanners (most metric, for my Honda bike at the time).

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm still looking for an affordable 3/4" ratchet bar.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Not sure I agree. In the 60's and 70's cheap tools in street markets were certainly to be avoided. Personally, I wouldn't buy such things now because good value spanners are so readily available from eBay, Toolstation, Screwfix, etc. But IME most cheap and basic "third world" tools are fine.

I've occasionally bought things like F, G, and trigger clamps at country fairs, but you can judge these from their "finish".

Reply to
newshound

True. One exception was a pair of secondhand side cutters (well, two pairs, both now sadly lost or stolen).

Ex-BT, Maun cutters. Brilliant and took a lot of abuse!

No idea if they are still as good.

Reply to
Bob Eager

BT, well they were probably 18-4-1 high speed tool steel, and would have worked as well at 650 deg C.

Reply to
newshound