decent quality set of small 'jewellers' screwdrivers sought

Hi all I'm after a set of small screwdrivers, similar to wot used to be called 'Jewellers screwdrivers', for laptop dismantling & similar. I've had sets like this in the past:

but they always seem to end up with the shaft turning in the plastic handle if you use any force with them.

I'm looking for a similar set where the shaft is decently bonded into the head. Has anyone got any recommendations something like this?

Thanks J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

Buy the all metal ones. I've never experienced this problem.

Reply to
harry

I got a few really nice ones by Voh recently. The shaft is retained by a grub screw, though, because they can be replaced. But not cheap.

Reply to
Georg von Krapp

I bought myself a Kamasa precision bit set similar (but slightly different) to this one:

Ebay 310636207199

For my limited needs it has been excellent. I have used more of the bits than I would have expected.

Reply to
polygonum

In message , harry writes

Maybe I've bought too cheap, but I've always found the metal ones useless with the handle rotating independently of the blade.

I have two sets of

w and use them all the time for working on laptops and similar devices.

In the past they have been on offer with a free ratchet interchangeable head screwdriver set, making a good value combination.

Reply to
Bill

I have a couple of Wiha sets. Not cheap, but they've survived a lot of use.

Bob Eager

I've had so called metal handled ones that I thought would be better only to find that either the blades were soft or the rotating end bits are hardly precision made and bore holes in your hand.

I think there a lot of counterfeit ones about right now. A friend said that Draper is the latest name they are spoofing with these cheap Chinese copies. Who can you trust?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Draper Expert "PSS6" works for me. Nice grippy handles. (Google it)

My next purchase will be an ifixit "Pro Tech Toolkit" for ipods, phones, laptops etc.

Vortex11

I've never actually seen proper jeweller's screwdrivers with plastic handles - traditional ones are brass or plated brass.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

alled 'Jewellers screwdrivers', for laptop dismantling & similar. I've had sets like this in the past: but they always seem to end up with the shaft turning in the plastic handle if you use any force with them. I'm looking for a similar set where the shaft is decently bonded into the head . Has anyone got any recommendations something like this? Thanks J^n

Make your own. The only tools that I have that have lasted were the ones I made as an appentice, 30 years ago.

Reply to
zaax

In message , The Night Tripper writes

Strangely enough the best I have had for years came from Wickes.

I have two sets, one at work and one at home. They have withstood a lot of abuse over the last couple of years.

Reply to
Bill

IIRC, Draper have never been an actual maker - they just stick their name on other's tools. Which means the quality varies enormously.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Think mine came from Maplin, many years ago, and have also lasted well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have one of the Wickes sets and also one of these:

From ToolSatan. Sadly now discontinued. It's very good and has bits for just about every tiny, fiddly little screw I have encountered.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That is the exact Kamasa set I got - and I agree, very useful and decent.

Reply to
polygonum

I have one of these too, and would second the quality (I don't abuse mine, though)

Reply to
newshound

Generally, if I want quality tools, I go to a local second hand tool shop and look through what they have on offer. It is often much better than the stuff being sold new.

However, were I looking for watchmaker's / jeweller's screwdrivers (mine are older than me and not in need of replacement) and they didn't have what I wanted I would go to a watchmaker's / jeweller's supplier.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Less painful than carving a notch!

Reply to
PeterC

Similar, but only 16 bits

newshound

None of those are what I'd call jeweller's screwdrivers. The largest proper one I have is smaller than the smallest bit there.

And I'd not really fancy removable bits wobbling around on tiny screwdrivers - they're bad enough on ordinary ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)