decent quality set of small 'jewellers' screwdrivers sought

That's a fair range of prices! While I have used Bergeon tools in the past, and can vouch for the quality, the prices seem to be going into the strato sphere - nealy £100 for a set of jewellers screwdrivers. I remember them being expensive, but not that expensive...

Reply to
docholliday93

But the OP asked for "'jewellers' screwdrivers" not "jeweller's screwdrivers". Subtle but possibly important distinction.

If I were mending watches, I would not be using Kamasa, Draper or whatever. But all OP wanted was small screwdrivers for use on a laptop. And the Kamasa set has been very useful with both PC and Mac kit. As well as various other things. Spending one to three hundred quid on a few screwdrivers for this purpose would be a complete waste. And, dammit, the precise head you want would not be in the set you bought!

The Kamasa holds the bits quite well and they do not wobble much. And the range of heads they fit has been wide enough for everything I have needed since acquiring them.

Reply to
polygonum

Right. To my mind 'jeweller's' defines the type - others are just small screwdrivers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They look very nice but a shame that at £99 for a set of nine (T-S 242) they can't be bothered to mention the sizes. No doubt that's the fault of the web writer rather than the shop itself. That's almost as annoying as sites that say click here for a larger image only to give you the same image - if not a smaller one - in a new window... grrrr!

Reply to
Phil Addison

rather than the

I presume that horrulo.. hurroolo.. harolu... ...watchmakers don't need to know the sizes because a "set" will cover the sizes you need for a watch.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

The thing is with all these options that the laptops I dismantle often have a small screw a long way down a tiny hole. Lumpy things you stick up a handle are not suitable.

Hence my recommendation a long way back for the Maplin set with the longish blade.

Reply to
Bill

Hmm - I think I actually wrote

"similar to wot used to be called 'Jewellers screwdrivers'"

and linked to somethign which clearly weren't yer actual jeweller's screwdrivers with the metal barrel and rotating head. As other have found, I have found them pretty useless for my stated purpose - you can't get a good grip on them. I'm sure they are great for jewellery/horology though.

Cheers J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

Hi all Thanks for all the pointers and recommendations. I quite like the sound of the Wickes ones, which I think I may have seen in a branch and rejected as likely being of poor quality. So the thumbs-up was helpful, cheers.

I'll maybe also save up for a Wiha set, or look out for some old stock of the Kamasa bit set.

Cheers Jon N

Reply to
The Night Tripper

The Kamasa kit with more bits:

polygonum

I tend not to bother looking at links - they often don't work on this computer.

Quite - part of their intrinsic design is you can't easily strip threads with them - which can be a problem with interchangeable bit types as the handle has to be big enough for the largest size, so easy to over-torque the smallest.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have to say, over-tightening notwithstanding, they do look good. I use the array of small screwdrivers I have a lot, for computers (macs* especially) and electronics.

A recent gift of age has been a difficulty with thumb/forefinger grip, which the doc has put down to 'one of those things'. I found the metal wheel-top type excellent, but now have problems using them. So those might well suit.

Rob

  • Counted 20-odd on an iMac dismantle.
Reply to
RJH

Doesn't look much good for fasteners recessed in deep holes

Reply to
John Stumbles

I'm impressed: The Philips and Pozis must have been a challenge!

Reply to
John Stumbles

In the past I have had difficulty applying enough torque to _undo_ screws with traditional jewellers' style screwdrivers - and that would have been as originally supplied.

When doing them up, 'care' is, of course, the watchword. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

They've probably never been used anyway, reading between the lines. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A rubber band round the handle works wonders.

Quite.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , at

08:45:02 on Wed, 3 Apr 2013, The Night Tripper remarked:

I have a set (with 31 tips) called "Blue Spot, 12612" and they are excellent.

Ah, here they are £4.75:

Roland Perry