OT: internet/router question....

Since you guys helped me out with my problems a work.....

At home, i'm browsing Youtube and it's telling me that some videos aren't available in my country. Odd as they are just generic UK pop stuff.

Then the missus asks me why I think that when she's shopping online her tablet seems to think she is in Belgium.

Is my equipment reporting me being in a different location? How do you find out?

Reply to
R D S

What do the various geolocation databases say about your IP address?

Andy Burns

That says UK.

So is, for example, this video blocked for everyone....?

R D S

Tweak your VPN

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Works for me...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If you go to the bottom of the settings page (when signed-in, assuming yoo do) what language and location do you have in the droplists?

Andy Burns

That was on US, i've changed it to UK but it's made no difference.

Reply to
R D S

No. I didn't even need to spoof a non-UK IP address to see it.

Reply to
Martin Brown

You mean your ISP allowed you to watch this filth without verifying your age :-)

Reply to
Scott

Last time I saw this the person was on a mobile delivered internet connection and they lived in Dover and they kept on finding they were in France when conditions were right. Seriously though, maybe this is a question for your internet provider. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not for me. Perhaps YouTube's algorithms detect that you are a person of discernment and taste.

Reply to
John

Sadly it works for me too. I wish I hadn't bothered.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Assuming that you are using a PC from a home LAN and it doesn't have active GPS running, then if you fire up Google Maps the default map you see should be centred at the point of the gateway between your ISP's internal network and the Internet.

Google appears to work out where you are as close as possible, and I assume that it uses your IP address.

If you get a UK based map then that should be a clue; likewise if you get a Belgian map.

If Google Maps thinks that you are in the UK then it is unlikely to be an issue based on your IP address and router.

I am, of course, assuming that you are using a UK based ISP and a NAT router which accepts an external IP address from them.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

No. It tends to use cookies that are set when any shopping site that uses google analytics records the address you entered to have your stuff delivered.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's not that. I first had the problem tryiung to play a Steps tune.

Reply to
R D S

That's one method, they also use GPS data reported by android phones (your own or someone else's) that can see your wifi and/or your neighbours' wifi.

Reply to
Andy Burns

How is not being able to play a Steps tune a problem?

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Asking that question presupposes that one knows what "Steps" is. But that's OK, I have no need to know.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Then why does it centre on the next town over, and not on my home address?

Reply to
David

It's also possible to do Geolocation by DNS as well, what DNS server are you using?

Reply to
Lee