henhouse

I've finally got the new henhouse done. This link leads to a pdf explaining all about it, and some photographs. I hope all this is useful to anyone contemplating a similar project.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That's one impressive Hen House.

I have never seen an automated door opener before. Have you experience of their use?

I would guess sliding doors may take a lot of maintenance and care to keep em sliding?

Well done, a pretty impressive well presented job.

How do the chickens take to the floor though? Clambering out of bed on a frosty winter morning might be a shock to the jolly old tootsies what?

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Around my way, in a truly urban environment, quite a few nearby neighbours have attempted to rescue/keep chickens in their back gardens. The experiments have all ended in the same way. Urban foxes have been responsible for a high kill rate including during the day when they are very active.

Reply to
alan_m

Sister's family lost theirs because they forgot to close the coup door one evening.

Reply to
RJH

We live in a suburb of Brum, in a cul de sac. A few years ago, a PCSO knocked on our door and asked if we had heard or seen anything suspicious the previous night, as the house across the road had had all their chickens "stolen". After digesting the previously unknown fact that our neighbours had been keeping chickens, I asked if they were sure it wasn't a fox.

"Oh" says the PCSO "...do foxes eat chickens ?"

At which point I felt it best to say we hadn't noticed anything ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

That's a very nice job Bill! Well done, and thanks for the write up.

Reply to
John Rumm

Bring back the Islington Hunt!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dont bring politics and remoaning into this.

Coop!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Another job that leaves me feeling inadequate. I bet you even provided PPE for the hen's feet so it didn't risk cement burns ;)

Reply to
Robin

Yes they are very good. At least the ChickenGuard ones are.

Strangely no, not at all.

Thank you. The girls are pleased as well.

There have been no verbal or written complaints as yet. However the shop steward, Mrs Flopsy, keeps giving me a look.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

My precautions are as follows. At night the girls are behind the auto door and they are also behind the coop gate, which I close at dusk. In the morning they can get into the coop, which is totally fox proof, but can't get into the field until I open the gate. I don't do that until the dog is running about.

Our local foxes appear to be nocturnal, prowling their beat in the middle of the night, unaware of the CCTV!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Thank you. I did it mainly for our local rescue hens Facebook group. Some of the people on there need help (take that any way you like).

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

No I made her sit though an H & S video about the dangers of concrete.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Finally - I learn something :-)

Reply to
RJH

But, do you suspect she didn't give a cluck?

Reply to
John Rumm

How dare you post a very decent bit of DIY on this Brexit group! At least have the decency to put ?On topic? in the subject line so that most folk here will know to ignore it. ;-)

Damn fine work Bill. Thanks for sharing.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Do your deeds not have a covenant prohibiting the keeping of poultry?

Reply to
bert

There speaks the prodnose.

Bill