PAPERLESS STATEMENTS/BILLING

Before selecting these options, ask yerself, "What's in it for me?"

Reply to
Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Easier to press delete on your computer than throw away an envelope through your door.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

As usual, you make no sense.

Reply to
Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Sure he did. With paperless billing you pay online, no stamp to buy, no putting your bill out for the postman to pick or a trip to the post office to mail. Paperless billing and paying online ensures they received your payment on time, figuring you pay your bills on time, so there will be no late fees. Also, the creditor cannot claim your payment was late when you mailed it.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Er.... what century does your country live in? Even *without* paperless billing, it gets paid through your bank, you don't have to leave your house. The bills are just the bits of paper telling you how much they're taking from you.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Good grief, you really must have a reading comprehension problem. Your statement to me is quite ignorant and shows you struggle with reading.

I *never* said the bill doesn't get paid through the bank. Show me where I stated that; I'll be waiting. My statement was about paying online and saving postage and/or a trip to the post office. Yes, of course all bills are paid through the bank (duh) but with online paperless billing you're not waiting on the post office to deliver your check to the biller.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

"no putting your bill out for the postman to pick"

I have never paid a bill by post, even before paperless billing.

No, all paperless billing does is remove the paper bill from them to you, you get an email instead, to save them postage and paper. Everyone's made the actual payment electronically for the last 50 years, usually by direct debit. I don't even have to click my mouse, it's taken directly from my bank each month by the company I owe money to. Are you from Africa or someplace rather backward?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 6:10:46 PM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wr ote:

Are you really, really, REALLY this stupid? If you don't pay in person or online you _mail_ the bill. The postman either picks up the bill at your mailbox with a check in the envelope (yes, the postman does this chore at your house here in the USA) or he takes it from your local post office and delivers it to the biller. What is so hard to understand about that???

That's wonderful, fantastic, great, good for you.

you get an email instead, to save them postage and paper. Everyone's made the actual payment electronically for the last 50 years, usually by direct debit. I don't even have to click my mouse, it's taken directly from my b ank each month by the company I owe money to. Are you from Africa or somep lace rather backward?

S-O-M-E of my bills are paid like that where the biller DOES take the money directly from my bank account. S-O-M-E of my bills *I* pay them and they get no access to my account; I get no e-mail from the company saying a bill is due when *I* pay them directly. What I get is a notice from my bank stating they have sent a payment to XYZ or whatever company. Some companies I just don't want rambling around inside of my checking account.

All of my utilities are paid by automatic bank draft and I set these up to be paid like that 25 years ago. I still get a paper bill from them stat- ing X amount of dollars will be withdrawn on it's due date. I'm sure if I were a new customer wanting paperless billing I would get no paper bill; all I would be receiving is an online notice.

Just because your bills aren't paid like this doesn't mean everybody does it your way. You remind me of a man I was arguing with many, many years ago in a now defunct group. He stated _everybody's_ newspaper bill came with their electric bill. I had to inform him all utility services do not do their billing the same and not everybody got a newspaper bill with their electric bill. (An electric bill and a newspaper bill together threw me for a loop.)

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

That has to be the most antiquated thing to do and hasn't been done in the UK for decades. Our OLD method was:

1) Receive bill through the post. 2) Pay automatically (the received bill was for information only) or over the phone or through internet banking.

Our new method (called paperless billing) only removes the paper bill headed TO me.

I never realised quite how third world the USA was.

Which is non-paperless billing.

Which is paperless billing.

The only people paying it manually are those who are really poor who walk to the post office to pay by cash, because they never know if they will have the money in the bank,.

Newspapers? What are those? We use the internet over here.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 7:07:46 PM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wr ote:

out > > that???

e UK for decades. Our OLD method was:

the phone or through internet banking.

I think even you might be surprised at the number of people in the UK that still write checks for their bills. A lot of older folks just don't trust this newfangled thing called the internet, online banking, and paying bills their bills that way. (What is the world coming to?)

No, we're not third world even though you are trying to stick your nose in the air and act superior. If you didn't pay your bills by post, then you went to a bill paying location. Or you are 20 years old.

ou, you get an email instead, to save them postage and paper. Everyone's m ade the actual payment electronically for the last 50 years, usually by dir ect debit. I don't even have to click my mouse, it's taken directly from m y bank each month by the company I owe money to. Are you from Africa or so meplace rather backward?

Did I say it wasn't? No, of course I didn't.

Of course it is. Still struggling with reading comprehension, I see.

to the post office to pay by cash, because they never know if they will ha ve the money in the bank,.

Nope, as I said above, not everybody pays online. The elderly are very wary of doing any business done online. They may be behind the times but they do read the paper and listen to the news about stolen identity and businesses having their customer base accessed.

As we do here. But you will find even in Limey Land, as here, some people still want an actual newspaper in their hands. Shocking!

You remind me very much of a poster on another group I access. She, like you, has a bad habit of trying to speak for whole sections of the country. Example: "That's not available here. That's not eaten here. The stores here don't stock that." The list is endless but she gets proven time and time again she hasn't a clue what she's talking about and those items are stocked in her city.

Oh, one other thing. Online payments/banking, the internet, etc. were not available 50 years ago. Nope, none of this had been heard of in 1967.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

In the UK most people don't even have a chequebook any more, and haven't for over a decade. It's an antiquated method of payment.

90% of old folks I know are on the internet more than me.

I'm 42, and I've always used direct debit, straight from the bank. The electricity company etc just take what they need.

There are two forms of paper in question. The bill sent from them to you, and the payment sent from you to them. In the UK almost nobody uses paper to pay. So the "paperless billing" refers to whether or not the statements come through the post or by email. You often get a discount from the company for paperless billing, as they don't have to print out statements and mail them. With my gas supplier, I also get a discount for having gas and electricity with them, and another for reading my own meter, so on one occasion I ended up with a negative gas bill!

Direct debit doesn't require online. You could do it with no internet access at all. When you sign up to get a service from a company, you tell them to take the money direct from your bank account. That way you have to take no action each month.

I see no point in that.

Except I'm referring to 100s of people I know who almost all do it my way.

I was born in 1975, and at no point in this conversation have we referred to anything as early as 1967.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Too much hassle, I don't have to do anything to pay the ills, it's done = for me.

The banks protect you from such things in the UK. One complaint and you= get your money back instantly. I even got =A3250 back from an Ebay sel= ler who never sent a computer part I ordered. Pissed Ebay off royally.

-- =

Confucius say: "If you park, don't drink, accidents cause people."

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 17:20:32 -0000, Uncle Monster w= rote:

I don't like automatic draws on my bank account and have only one and it= 's for Amazon Prime service which is $6.47 per month. I saw a service so= mewhere where you could get a one-time credit card number to use to make= a purchase online and I need to find it again. I know there are credit = cards that have such a service but I don't have one of them. =C2=AF\_(=E3= =83=84)_/=C2=AF

Credit cards are evil, they make you spend what you don't have.

-- =

If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Uh-uh-uh, there you go again speaking for millions of people that you haven't a clue what they use for a method of payment.

And how many millions of people would that be?? 90% of older people YOU know might only be 30-50 people. There you go, attempting to speak for other people again.

I never disputed the utility company takes only what you owe. So why did you think that needed clarifying?

There's that bad habit you have of speaking for others when you have no clue how others outside your circle of family and friends pay their bills.

Some municipalities do, indeed, give a discount for paperless billing. Notice I didn't say all did like you seem to have a habit of doing. My local utility companies don't. Great for those that do get a discount.

What?!?!?!? You have to read your own meter??? How antiquated, how back- wards, how old fashioned, how insulting that you have to read your own meter. I wouldn't stand for that garbage. At least here in my city all those bills are read electronically. The meters send their read-outs by Wi-Fi. Y'all need to get with the modern age over there in the U.K. Reading your own meters, indeed.

Of course you don't! Most people who can't see anything other than their way of doing things can't see any other point other than their own.

You wouldn't exaggerate much, now would you?? You know these 'hundreds' personally? You know all their reading, banking, and bill paying habits? Uh-huh, sure you do. (Just a minute, let me roll up my pants legs, the doo-doo is getting quite deep in here)

You're a bit young to be afflicted with Alzheimer's. YOU, not me, was the one who said "Everyone's made the actual payment electronically for the last 50 years, usually by direct debit." THAT, my confused and backtracking friend is a direct quote from y-o-u-r November 14 post. If you can't remember your comments I suggest you go back and read what you have previously posted if you have memory problems which evidently you do.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

I know enough people to provide a decent data set.

Go learn basic statistics.

I didn't think it did, and never said it did, please learn basic English.

Stop repeating yourself. Why do you feel the need to make the same point twice?

What does the word "often" mean in your country?

I don't HAVE to, didn't you read what I said? I get a discount because I choose to, so they don't have to send someone out.

They are trying to introduce wifi meters, but half of us are refusing, we don't want spied on thankyou very much.

What is the point then?

Are you a recluse? You seriously know less than 100 people?

Ah I see, you're afflicted with OCD. "The last 50 years" does not mean precisely 50 years.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Suuuuuure you do.

I know basic statistics but you need to learn when adding zeroes to then end of numbers how it changes value.

You felt the need to make the statement that the utility company only withdraws what they're due and I said I never disputed that fact. Now you want to act indignant and tell someone to learn basic English when you're the one struggling with it.

I'm only repeating myself as you seen to have the discerning habit for speaking for other people as if it's the gospel. If you stop speaking for everyone else then I'll stop 'repeating' myself.

Same thing it means in Limey Land. What's your point?

Sooooo, you get an estimated bill and really have no idea what you are using?

HAHAHAHAAAAAAA, spoken like a true paranoid. In other words they bill you for your actual usage and that's what you are resisting.

The point in seeing other things other than what's in your immediate surroundings.

You've actually asked each and every one of them; you did a survey? Bored much?

No, I know 100 people but you said *hundreds* big difference but you do seem to struggle with simple math.

Backtracking again, I see. When you can't win an argument the fault of not winning is put on the person who actually did win. Nice try, but an epic failure on your part.

**** OK, I'M THROUGH PLAYING SILLY GAMES WITH YOU. TRYING TO DISCUSS ANYTHING MEANINGFUL WITH YOU IS USELESS AS THERE IS NO WAY TO DO ANYTHING BUT YOUR WAY.

HAVE FUN TALKING TO YOURSELF.****

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann