paperless drywall?

I happened to be strolling around Lowe's and I noticed this drywall called paperless mold resistant drywall. It seemed to have a different edge on the long axis than normal sheets of drywall. How are the joints finished and is it all its cracked up to be? It was also more expensive than regular sheets. Is it better than green board for baths and other high moisture areas?

Reply to
bitternut

I don't know what brand you were looking at but here's some info on G-P's version.

Since this is a fairly new product, it will be a while before any good or bad news surfaces about it (pardon the pun).

I have little experience with it, but from what I've seen thus far, you finish it just like you would regular drywall, but it does seem to take longer for the joint compound and primers to dry.

Reply to
hawgeye

Q: Is there a mold warranty for DensArmor=AE paperless drywall? A: G-P Gypsum does not offer a mold warranty for DensArmor=AE drywall. However, it incorporates a proven paperless design that eliminates the traditional paper facings which could provide a food source for mold to grow.

You're going to be painting the drywall, right? If the mold gets past the paint to the wallboard, you have let it go too long and you have a big problem. If there's moisture and mold growing on the inside of the wall, the resistant drywall will slow the growth down, but you have an even bigger problem with that scenario.

There are mold spores everywhere. Don't let the mold get ahead of you. If you see a couple of small spots, take care of it ASAP. If you keep the humidity under control, make sure you don't have any water leaks, and keep the room and walls clean, the mold won't have opportunity to grow.

RicodJour

The real solution to not having mold grow inside your walls is to build things right so that water doesn't get in there. There are a lot of products out now purporting to kill or prevent mold but that still isn't addressing the fact that if a house or shower or whatever leaks, you have a problem that has to be fixed. Some old time craftsmen confirm this to me verbally saying that the installers anymore don't know how to do tile or roofing right, etc. That is why the house or shower leaks, not because of the materials inside where it's supposed to never get wet in the first place.

frippletoot

Just adding a couple of cents to the conversation.

In the 2006 IRC, WR gypsum (green board) is no longer allowed to be used as a tub/shower surround. (It is allowed in the 2003 for non-exterior walls.) From now on, the requirement is to use cement, fiber-cement & glass mat gypsum for backers of tile in tub and shower areas.

Reply to
Dennis