OT: induction hob or ceramic hob?

Is safety for the user a concern? I know for blind people the new talking induction hobs are very welcome as they remain mostly cool when the pan is removed. Not sure about reliability though, probably not been around long enough to know. Brian
--
----- -
On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 09:32:58 -0000

On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 14:04:15 +1100

Yes, I've fried bacon fairly hard in a pan till well done with only the slightest hint of singing of the paper towel. A teatowel would probably be similar and, as you say, washable.

The single ring ones come round in Aldi/Lidl quite often over here. For making marmalade they'd be ideal.

It would, but for most of the time it'd be a pain in the neck with fiddling about positioning accurately, and you get lazy in time!
On 29/11/2017 19:09, snipped-for-privacy@nomailthanks.com wrote:

If you have a choice go induction.
They are easier to use and easier to clean and are safer.
The more you pay the more features you can get, like auto temperature controls on the pans. However you probably don't need them.
Any shift back to ceramic hobs will be down to how cheap they are these days, they have to be cheap to sell.
writes

You have probably made up your mind but, if you like gas, bottles are not a major hassle. We have two large bottles outside, with a changeover valve, and a full bottle lasts at least a year. OK, hassle to take an empty bottle to the garage once a year, but other than that, simple, and a pleasure to use.
--
Graeme

That's what we had in our last house. And the enormous man with no neck who delivered the gas used to swap the bottles (at 47kg + the weight of the bottle, I couldn't even pick them up - that's why I bought a sack barrow!) TBH, gas is very slightly more controllable than induction, but way dirtier. All things considered, induction has it.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 42nd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183
On Thursday, 30 November 2017 10:52:25 UTC, Graeme wrote:

Bear in mind, the initial cost of the gas bottle. If you finish with gas and take the bottle back, they won't refund it.

Didn't know that, because, luckily, there were two bottles here when we moved in. They were feeding a gas fire which has now been removed.
--
Graeme

On 30/11/2017 10:41, Graeme wrote:

We have bottled gas. It's rubbish.
In our old house we had an induction hob for a year or so (before I was made redundant, and had to move for work).
The new kitchen is on the jobs list. It will have an induction hob. It's cleaner, faster, more controllable and safer.
The only down side that I know of is that you can't use a wok or similar round bottomed pan. I bought a sauté pan to do that job.
Andy

That's a little strong. Ceramic hobs are rubbish. Bottled gas is merely inconvenient.

You also can't scorch peppers in order to peel them.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 44th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183
On 02/12/2017 09:42, Huge wrote:

It's not a little strong. Maybe it's our hob though.
One small burner, two middle ones, and a big one - plus a wok burner we never use. There's no overlap in the power outputs between the sizes. Max on small is about the same as min on middle (etc).
Andy
On 29/11/17 19:09, snipped-for-privacy@nomailthanks.com wrote:

We had a ceramic hob on our previous cooker, which we brought to this house which had a gas hob.
I grew to like the gas hob but my wife didn't care for it and I swapped the kitchen around to use the cooker we had.
When we came to have the kitchen replaced, I was keen on having either a range cooker or at least a gas hob, my wife wanted an induction hob.
We got an induction hob ;-)
Of the three options (plus we've had normal a cooker), the induction hob wins 'hand down'. It is as 'controllable' as a gas hob (the feature I like- I'd never used gas in a domestic setting before), easy to clean, etc. While it does get hot due to conduction from the pans, it doesn't get hot enough for things to 'burn on' etc.
You do need a dedicate 'spur' for the hob, we have spurs for each oven and the hob. Plus you need pans which are compatible- some of ours weren't - including a much used pressure cooker (not all stainless steel pans are compatible).
My only regret, we went for 4 'rings' rather than a larger hob. Even now, with just two of us, I find sometime more 'rings' would be useful when cooking 'fancy' meals.
Ours is an AEG, as are the other were the other appliances. The hob is one of the few which hasn't given us any issues.
On 30/11/2017 17:09, Brian Reay wrote:

As we are facing a kitchen refit, did you (or others) consider buying a single, free-standing old-style ring for occasional use with incompatible stuff? I can see the risk that it'll turn out to be too much bother to pull it out of a cupboard for use with the pressure cooker, fish kettle, jam pan etc. But it is a bit of a bugger to have to replace everything at once.
--
Robin

Yes. She has insisted on a two burner gas hob as well. Tracpipe laid in screed already.

--
Tim Lamb

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 18:55:48 +0000

We purchased one of the very basic cheap camping rings e.g.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Single-Ring-1500W-Portable-Electric-Hot-Plate-Hob-Caravan-Camping-Home-Stove/162572766872?hash=item25da178e98:g:wHYAAOSwstJZVtoO
or: https://tinyurl.com/y7tu6byj
We use that with our glass coffee maker daily and occasionally with other induction-incompatible pots and pans. At about 9" square, it doesn't take too much benchtop and is left out permanently.
On 30/11/2017 18:55, Robin wrote:

We had a double burner gas camping stove and a microwave. Our garage is integral and has a utility area so we just set up a table and cooked in there for a few days. A bit a planning to ensure we had some pre-prepared meals in the freezer (we generally bulk cook some things anyway) and it was no big deal.
In the past, when I've refitted kitchens myself, we just ensured we had the essentials working within a day. When we had a company in to do the job, we essentially abandoned the kitchen although that was more our choice than a requirement- it seemed like less hassle.

On Wednesday, 29 November 2017 19:09:38 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@nomailthanks.com wrote:

There is also "halogen hobs" to consider. http://www.crowdstorm.co.uk/shopping/halogen-hobs?pdgE729132793__e.halogen%20hobs_c_1t2&pdg=kwd-42738890:cmp-46280233:adg-2406586273:crv-45729132793:pos-1t2&gclid IaIQobChMIhOKRuKvo1wIV55PtCh0OPAVsEAAYAiAAEgLTjPD_BwE
Cheaper than induction but faster than a conventional ceramic hob.
On 01/12/2017 07:58, harry wrote:

My mum has halogen. It's a bit better than ceramic - probably as good as a conventional electric. But compared to induction? It's slow, and things burn on to it.
Andy
i've heard a rumour that induction hobs can stop heart pacemakers.
theres one in Lidl for £30
[george]