Cable connector block on ceramic hob?

Hi folks, Last year I bought and fitted a Baumatic ceramic hob. I had no probs at all with the standard, traditional connections of cooker switch and cooker cable but when it came to the connection at the hob it was a bit of a puzzle I never resolved satisfactorily,.

Though I did mange to get the wires to lodge quite firmly, it was a trial and error affair, as the U shaped brass plates and screws of the connector seemed a bit remote from the cable ends.

As there were no apparent entry holes large enough for the wire ends I pushed them behind the brass plates and tightened the screws. I had a heck of a job getting the neutral to grip.

Anyway, during recent decorating the cable got snagged and the hob went on the blink. (The neutral wire became dislodged). Can anyone please direct me to some clear instruction on how to wire one of these type of connectors properly?

Reply to
Arty Flinders

I don't really understand what the problem is. (?) There is a hole in the side of the terminal compartment that has a rubber grommet around it. The cable is inserted through this hole and under a cord grip mechanism to hold it in place and stop it from being pulled back out.

After removing the nuts and top washers, the copper conductors can be wrapped a half turn around the bolts before the washer and nut are placed back on and tightened. You will need a small piece of green/yellow insulation sheath over the bare earth connecting centre to make it doesn't touch against any other terminals when it is in place.

Are you using the correct cable ? Are you using the correct connection point ? Are you sure the hob is safe after you connected it up the first time ?

Reply to
BigWallop

It's that the connector isn't like the one you describe or the one I'm familiar with.

No, it isn't like that.

If only.

It's got that.

I believe so. It's cooker cable running from a cooker switch

It being the only one, I guess so.

I'm sure it would be safe if it were connected correctly. At the moment it's not connected at all. Safe but not very useful.

Reply to
Arty Flinders