OT: I don't BELIEVE it!

Newspaper not delivered this morning.

Rang newsagent: PT: Peter here, My paper wasn't delivered. NA: Sorry, we're having trouble with the new delivery boy. Give me your address and I'll bring it round. PT: OK, fine (gives details)

15 min later, NA at door. SWMBO answers. NA: The boy said he didn't know what your address was because he can't read.

Either they're employing three-year-olds or the state of education in this country is far worse than I thought it was.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

In message , Peter Twydell writes

Postperson (for it was a woman) delivered everyone's mail to the next door neighbour on Friday

Reply to
geoff

Give him a job at PayPal tech support - retards welcome there.

Reply to
dom

Just read this:

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE New University is set to offer a new degree teaching managers how to sell beds.

The university will provide a course for employees at High Wycombe-based company Dreams.

Dr Ruth Farwell, vice chancellor of Buckinghamshire New University, said: "Offering Dreams' managers this opportunity is a natural extension of our work, especially since Dreams' head office is in our home town. advertisement

"It fits perfectly with the Government's drive for greater participation in higher education and the need to enhance the skills base of the nation."

The move follows the much-publicised announcement of a 'McDonald's A Level'.

But Dr Farwell added: "Whilst we recognise the impetus behind the decision to allow companies such as McDonald's to award their own qualifications, we believe that it is better for employers to partner with universities in initiatives such as this one."

The new foundation degree in retail management will incorporate the bed company's existing training package offered to new staff in the organisation.

Mike Clare, Dreams founder and president, said: "Dreams has always adopted a strategy based on building strong relationships. This has worked exceptionally well with Buckinghamshire New University - after all many of our staff attended the university.

He added: "The university's pragmatic approach and understanding of the challenges we face has enabled us to launch a development programme which will enable staff to continue their education whilst also focusing on their careers."

The course is due to begin in mid April with 12 Dreams managers taking part.

The staff have been specially selected to fast-track through the degree in a year.

But the company hopes to roll out a two-year qualification for its employees nationally.

Comments:

Posted by: Alexander, Wycombe on 2:47pm today The credibility of a degree gets diluted yet further! How can parents actually attend a degree deremony without cringing I wonder?

Posted by: beedee, high wycombe on 2:50pm today Enough to make you fall asleep!

Posted by: smokey, high wycombe on 4:11pm today there are no words - i am absolutely speechless

Your paper boy probably has a PhD.

Reply to
Rod

I don't know what the Bucks university is but I do know that twenty years ago a son gained an MA in furniture design at High Wycombe and wouldn't attend the degree ceremony because he held it in such low regard.

He worked really hard for his but some students didn't attend any lectures of put in work and still graduated.

I was very upset at the time because we felt that we'd been deprived, now I don't.

He's made a good career for himself, he just thinks that it was a waste of three years of his life. He might as well have stuck with the double First he had for his BA.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

At least he should deliver the papers on time - and not waste time reading them!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Do you mean she delivered everyone's mail to your next door neighour, or she delivered everyone's mail to their next door neighbour?

tim

Reply to
tim (not at home)

In message , "tim (not at home)" writes

the latter

Reply to
geoff

Maxie, is she dyslexic?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

My mate John once confused an entire McDonalds drive thru in a similar manner. He was in a great hurry, ordered his meal & drove out without collecting it. The bloke behind him got his meal, the bloke behind - you get the idea. 6 people got the wrong meals before he got inside & explained. Took them 10 mins to get it sorted :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

I have no idea Mr Leak

It's the postdrone, I have never had a meaningful conversation with her

Reply to
geoff

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

But how long was it until some saddo actually noticed ?

Reply to
geoff

We had a postman do the latter once.

Reply to
<me9

Why, are you hoping for a shag with a fellow sufferer?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yep! partiulary when you have parents with "Ying tong iddle-i po!" after their sig line.

Reply to
George

Oh look!!!! A plantpot!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Exactly Maxie. Those who ordered chips were eating jelly and never noticed.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

At least one of the kids who was in my year at school was more or less illiterate at 16. There were plenty more who you'd consider very poor readers.

Reply to
Doki

In message , George writes

And the relevance of that mis-spelled and inaccurate comment is?

You'll probably find that listeners to the original Goon Show are grandparents these days. At least the Goons were funny. More than can be said for some of the present-day lot. Anyway, humour has always been subjective.

The people who started to screw up education in the sixties and seventies probably has no sense of humour at all, being doctrinaire 'progressives' and all that crap. Bring back grammar schools and free university education for proper subjects. At proper universities.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

What load of balls. Education is far superior than what it was 40 years ago. I know I have little girl at school. And the Goons were not funny either.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel