OT Hazard warning lights and hard braking

Eh? That is used when cornering. You're not intending stopping quickly, so why does the traffic following need to know?

Thought BMW were one of the first to fit it. My E39 had it, and very clever too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unless the sensors or logic were faulty, then one of the wheels *must* have locked, even though the road conditions didn't suggest that it would happen for that level of braking.

With modern cars, ABS being activated is hard to detect. On my first car with ABS, there was a definite pulsating of the brake pedal (easiest to demonstrate in snow, since that did not require very harsh braking to provoke: moderate braking at 5 mph was enough to trigger it) but nowadays the only sign is that the ABS light comes on briefly.

Reply to
NY

The 1950s cars were solid. Thick steel, separate chassis. Moggy 1000. My Magnette, A 35, all teh scars wer safe in a rollowver - lethal in a head on with chest piercing steering columds and no set belts.

That all started to change with the mini. Thin steel monocoques that crumpled and no chassis to speak of.

60's cars were pretty dire really.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I remember it actually under the bonnet, a curved pipe sticking up. But there were some under the side flap too.

One was metal, the other plastic, but not much of a difference!

It's actually fairly easy to spot. Well, sort of...

Some Jags had that. Two tanks and a balance pipe I believe.

Also done on some Mini Coopers (the S I think).

Reply to
Bob Eager

I had an Anglebox

Reply to
charles

Moggy was famously a monocoque design. The shell was very strong by virtue of its curved panels.

(See

about 9?30? in)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Something else TNP knows nothing about.

He thinks a box made out of thin steel sheets bolted onto a chassis is stronger than a properly done monocoque is. Any viewer that has watch Russian cars rolling on youtube will know they don't fall apart and people generally walk away. I doubt if they would in a 1950s car.

I wonder if he has told F1 that they have it all wrong?

Reply to
dennis
8<

No it means he is trying to stop faster than the conditions allow. It may just be gentle braking. Another car may have different results for the same level of braking.

A car with half worn tyres might aquaplane on one wheel if it hits a puddle near the kerb while one a foot to the right might not hit the puddle. This is unlikely to affect you with an average speed of 8mph in London.

Reply to
dennis

Thought you claimed to be an engineer. All of those cars are monocoque construction.

You're really showing your stupidity now. About the only small car which still had a chassis when the Mini arrived was the ancient design Ford Popular. And Herald, of course. Which performed rather badly in a crash.

The Mini set new standards in handling. Hence it doing so well in competition.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On the same conditions? How?

I take it you never venture outside town?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My bad. Yes. It was.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And the Reliant Regal, presumably.

Reply to
Max Demian

50s cars crumple very easily & lethally in an accident. Modern unitary ones don't. Body panels were thicker then, but the end result was still much weaker.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ladas, despite all the bs talked about them, are very tough cars that had very good crash safety for their time. When they were eventually tested years later they did well.

I remember once seeing the aftermath of a nasty accident, Lada vs Peugeot. Both had clearly been flipped & rolled. The Lada driver opened the door & walked away. The more modern Peugeot driver had no hope of survival.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

ISTR it (much later) being found to be the car on British roads with the worst of all crash stats.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes- no tiny car does well in a crash. Hence the modern Mini being so much larger outside, but no bigger inside.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh I dunno. Fifth Gear did a crash test of a Smart car and it came out of it amazingly well.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Bet you can't do that on Abu Hamza's hand.

I can only once remember the vans (ie this Fiat van that I have had for nearly 3 years) ABS cutting in in anger. And that did not activate the hazards. I was however travelling a lot slower that time when I had to break hard.

Reply to
ARW

The car may surive but no big bonnet slowing it down means the humans may not.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Nope, just slowing down normally, on a very slippery surface.

Nope, not when it slows less than normally.

Reply to
2987pl