Firefox disabling add-ons

FF has just put up a message on my screen telling me it has disabled several add-ons, including Adblock and Ghostery, but also a couple I'd never heard of or thought I was using, Blue gradients and Blue to Blue.

I don't understand why this has suddenly happened, as I don't think my FF had just updated. Has anyone else experienced this, and can anyone suggested acceptable replacements for Adblock and Ghostery?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

KCACO.

They were aware of the problem yesterday; have rolled out updates to fix it; update is automatic if setting allow; all OK here by last night.

See

Robin

They f***ed up and didn't renew a code-signing certificate, if you have "studies" enabled in options they are pushing out a quick fix for it that way.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Its a bug apparently which has an article about it somewhere since I heard of it a few days back. If the message is not visible to me then I'd not know but sighted people mentioned it. Its not clear from what I've read if its really disabled them or whether there is an error in the logic that makes it thinks this. There is a separate bug that stops blind users interacting with the list of addons in one of the main categories. Its all a bit odd as the betas seem to be fine. One supposes that somebody forgot to change something, Ahem, finger trouble when making the release version from the beta?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The 67 betas were also affected (and also fixed) presumably a 66.4 will appear shortly as a longer term fix?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well the ad blocker still worked here. However as my working browser I prefer waterfox as its easier to hear when a download completes which is not possible on Firefox any more. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff brought next idea :

I guess you guys are all subscribed to betas? I have had no problems here I am on V 66.0.3 64 bit.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks to all. Problem now fixed.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I was on 66 and didn't get affected by the problem until 18 hours after it was first reported, but then it bit me, re-enabling the studies option didn't immediately help, so I tried installing the 67beta but that didn't help either, left it overnight and the "study fix" kicked in this morning.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Fixed for desktops, but not yet for Android.

I tried turning off app signing in about:config which re-enabled the add blocker but seemed to slug overall performance.

A lot of the options described for the desktop version don't seem to be in the Android version.

Now waiting for a permanent Android fix.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Android fix is the same as the desktop fix.

Install it yourself from:

mm0fmf

I don't see "studies" in any of the usual "options" pages ... found by "search".

I have long been using the excellent translator with the big red T icon, and I want it back...

I've tried to download an alternative, but I always now get, on red, "Download failed. Please check your connection.". Given that I have been web-communicating, how does my connection need checking?

Reply to
dr.s.lartius

In 'options', it's under the 'privacy and security' tab. Scroll down to 'Firefox data collection and use'. Click on the box 'allow Firefox to send technical and interaction data to mozilla' and then click on the box below that 'allow Firefox to install and run studies'.

I then closed FF and re-opened it, but that might not be necessary. The fault had cleared, so I then cleared the two boxes clicked on above (click on them again), and all is still well. Once fixed, it stays fixed, apparently.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

AS of 24 hours, my version of FF is still borked.

Back to Chrome until they manage a similar world-beating SNAFU. I really don't have the time to mess around and wait for Mozilla to sort it.

It's amazing how unusable the internet is with ad and script blockers not working.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

From the reports I was following, it seems a bit all over the place. Which means (naturally) that any "fix" will be guaranteed to miss some users. Like me.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I've forgotten the exact words but mine said it was disabling screen grab.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I also have v66.0.3 but 32 bit, not beta, and noticed the problem at about 7AM today. But fixed via the 'studies' route described by AB.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Still not working as of (checks) 17:09 BST. (The usage of EST in all Mozilla output doesn't help).

When I say "not working" I mean "I started Firefox and no add-ons are working". Because the *only* fix for a SNAFU of this breadth and depth is a seamless rollback or restore. No way are non-tech types going to be able to faff through a series of steps to get back to where they were.

I look forward to El Reg ripping them a new one on Tuesday.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

If you don't have "studies" enabled then you don't get the hotfix. So instead just go and download what they install if you did have "studies" enabled.

Click on it, allow webpage to install software and you're done. Studies fixed it on this PC but there's no studies option for Android. I clicked the link on the phone and instantly all my add-ons etc. came back.

YMMV

Reply to
mm0fmf

66.0.3 was borked here yesterday