[OT] Has any other country solved the online shopping/delivery problem?

Round here, online shopping was reasonably stable - most senders used Royal Mail, Parcelforce, UPS or one of a couple of other reasonable couriers.
All of a sudden every bugger seems to be using Yodel -
Yodel like to come at completely random times, and not do anything remotely sensible when I'm at work like leave the sodding thing with a neighbour (most other couriers do).
One day I was in all day bar going out for about 15 minutes and the buggers came right then.
After 3 goes they give up and suggest might like to do a 50 mile round trip to Maidstone and collect it in person (erm, no I don't think so!).
I have a package stuck at Maidstone and nearly missed another delivery 3 weeks back -
I'm checking out on uk.l.m if this scenario allows for raising a credit card dispute (should talking to the sender fail).
But it occurs to me that we as a country are degenerating into a shambolic mishmash of random courier companies who don't like communicating with customers (I had to use the "Book a collection" option to even get a human, yay to me...) and like having sparse depots.
It's not even like I am in the Brecons or the Shetland Isles... Sunny Sussex, near to two main towns (Hastings and Tunbridge Wells, either of which would be acceptible to drive to)
Has no one thought it might be a good idea to run a national registrar of delivery preferences so you could sign up once and say "Yes, leave it with a neighbour" or "Hide it in the porch" or "Leave it with a local collection place".
I get the feeling this is something that is not going to happen unless the government mandates it. Sellers will choose the cheapest crappiest courier until they get enough "no delivery" disputes to re-evaulate.
This is the one problem Royal Mail solves very well - they know their customers better and they have a good distrubution of collection offices - why do we have to have all these other sodding outfits doing domestic deliveries? It can hardly be "green" either to have a dozen other vans driving through my village dropping off a couple of parcels when RM send a single red van full of nothing but local post.

It's called Freedom of Choice (or Capitalism) or ....?
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On Wednesday 16 October 2013 19:49 charles wrote in uk.d-i-y:

or going to Hell in a Handbasket
(WTF does that mean anyway?)

tw+ snipped-for-privacy@dionic.net says...

It means people don't know what a handcart is.
--
Sam

Probably means you've got it wrong. ;-)
http://blog.millnet.co.uk/index.php/2012/06/to-hell-in-a-handcart/
Tim
On Wednesday 16 October 2013 22:53 Tim+ wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Ahha..

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 22:53 Tim+ wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And the folk in uk.l.m say that I can invoke the DSR within 7 days of delivery *and prior to delivery* In the latter case, I would not be liable for return costs (because I cannot actually return the items).
I see if Yodel sort themselves out tomorrow - otherwise the above seems like a good idea...

I don't think I have ever had a problem with Yodel here in Gloucestershire. It's a bit random whether Royal Mail deliver if I am out, or take stuff back to the depot (luckily not too far away). The ParcelForce (collect from Post Office) service isn't too bad.
I've had to make 25 mile round trips to collect stuff from City Link though.
On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 19:51:46 +0100, newshound

I have. They failed to deliver at all the only time they were used. Others have had similar experiences.

Royal Mail usually leave the parcel in the bin and fail to ring the doorbell. Sometimes they don't even leave a card either. If they do take it back to the depot, it's miles away.

IIRC it's about 60 miles for me.
--
(\__/) M.
Tim Watts wrote:

DPD/Interlink are quite good, if the seller passes your mobile number to them, they text you to say there's a parcel due tomorrow, and let you send a single digit SMS to delay it for one or two days, or deliver to a neighbour, then on the delivery day they text you with a 1 hour timeslot.

If Royal Mail fail to deliver they leave a card and take the parcel back to the sorting office a few miles away, where parking is impossible at popular times, and is only open past office hours one day a week, and now has a sign at the gate saying "no customer parking" (which the posties say to ignore).
Parcel Force have a better idea, they take it to the local post office which is within walking distance.
On Wednesday 16 October 2013 19:58 Andy Burns wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes - DPD - that's one of our regulars. They are pretty good too.

This of course would/should be the sensible fallback for everyone.

Yes, that works well for me, I suspect that they will all go that way.

Well it all depends on your local situation. Our sorting/delivery office is effectively the post office over the road (we live in a village of about a 1000 odd properties). so non delivered Royal Mail stuff goes back there. And since they converted it to one of these counters attached to the main shop counter, and the same staff do both, it means that when ever the shop is open the post office is as well :-) - currently 6am to 10pm. Parcelforce how ever, don't use them anymore, cos not so much secure storage for parcels. So it goes to nearest suitable PO which is 6 miles away.
fortunately, we are around quite a bit in the day, so can arrange for redelivery easily enough, and PF pretty much always come here early on. (they will leave stuff out of the way, but not everything can be)
--
Chris French

No they're not, they're fecking brilliant! ;-)
Tim
In article <2052014868403653014.750808timdownie2003-nospampleaseyahoo.co
o.uk> scribeth thus

+1 ...
--
Tony Sayer

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:58:09 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

I got a text from them the other day saying a parcel would arrive between 1 1.17 and 12.17.
I happened to be in the porch when the van arrived at 11.13 so I opened the door and stood there expectantly. Driver got the parcel out of the back o f the van then went and stood by the cab, trying to look busy. Finally tur ns round and walks over to me at 11.17 looking very sheepish.
"Sorry, mate. I'm not allowed to deliver early."
On Wednesday 16 October 2013 22:55 mike wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Never stops Ocado - though they are obliged to ring first and I am free to say no and make them wait (only did that once - right in the middle of supper).

I've had with a DPD delivery before, he came to the door, then realised what the time was and had to wait (something like 10 minutes).
IIRC I think he said that the problem is that if they don't deliver within the timed slot, the system flags it up as a 'misdelivery' or whatever in the same way whether it's late or early, and then presumably something pops up on the managers screen at some point about it, or it gets included in some sort of stats they report etc.. So they were told not to deliver early.
Kinda silly tho, presumably at some point they will alter their system, as unless they actually monitor the vans actual movements, they will be missing the info that they are actually delivering quicker on a route than they expected.
--
Chris French

On Thursday 17 October 2013 17:26 chris French wrote in uk.d-i-y:

My mate confirms that too - met the bloke doing another delivery down the road. Asked if he could have his package. "Sorry" was the answer along with the explanation that the system only releases items at the right time.
Late is one thing, but an early positive delivery should be allowed (meaning the actual recipient accepted it and signed for).
What cannot be allowed of course is an early misdelivery - eg, "I called half an hour early but you weren't in" - well, not unless they want to emulate ShittyLink.
Ocado's rules are fully declared, adhered to and sensible: ring householder and ask if they mind an early delivery - if no, wait until the arranged timeslot and look happy about it.
A lot of the time, I can take it 30 mins early - once I declined and the bloke did not grumble in the slightest which is something that surprised me - probably because I'm used to shitty service from so many other companies.

Here is one reason people are fed up with RM:
<http://votingandboating.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/royal-mail-should-we-sell -it-off.html>
--
Tim

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 19:58:09 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

And you can now track the lorry on a map.