Computer problem solved

A few days ago I was commenting that one of the "new" computers I just built was continuously crashing and having problems . Sent the motherboard back to the vendor , who tested it and found it was bad . New board on the way . I used the same board in another comp , and it runs great , stable and doing well . I'll be glad to get everything organized and settled again . New RAM is on it's way from HK so I can max out both comps . I like the vendor , he/they messaged me asking questions about the motherboard and processor . They wanted to be sure their RAM is compatible with my equipment before they shipped it . I like that , and it's probably at least part of the reason they have a 100% satisfaction rating . Vendor is computex_tech on ebay . -- Snag
On 4/28/2017 12:46 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I've bought all my memory from Crucial and never had a problem. They have a program you can use to check compatibility with your machine.
On 04/28/2017 11:54 AM, Frank wrote:

If I work on a machine for someone else, I usually go for the best parts possible...but for one of my own machines, at least one that is not critical, I sometimes take chances.
On eBay I saw some super cheap RAM ...from China...that said it would only work with an AMD CPU. Since I had a few machines with AMD processors that needed more RAM I decided to order some...it was only $2 a stick.
When I placed the order they did not process it at first ...they emailed me to make sure I understood it was AMD only and only after I told them I understood...did they process the order.
One of the sticks was bad and when I informed them I told them that for $2 they need not send a replacement but to my surprise they immediately refunded $2.
The rest of the RAM has been running fine for about a year now...
I suspect the RAM was cheap simply because they did not have a quality control department.
Bottom line though, I was dealing with China and they were pretty good about their dealings.
philo wrote:

I've had both good and bad dealings with Chinese merchants . Some bend over backwards to please , others act like you've insulted their family for the last 3 generations by even hinting that their product is less than perfect .
--
Snag

On 04/28/2017 12:53 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

The only problem I had was with a motherboard MFG. It was a major name but I can't recall now.
I did a BIOS upgrade and when I got done flashing it I got a message the the upgrade failed . I got scared that I bricked the thing but it worked and the new BIOS was installed.
I contacted tech support to tell them about the bug but there was probably no one there that understood English. Basically, no matter how many times I contacted them I got one of four different canned responses having BIOS in the context.
On 4/28/2017 1:53 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I think it is a crap shoot looking for cheapest stuff. I've never shopped ebay but my brother-in-law has bought stuff for my wife which turned out to be crap. Chinese stuff might be good or bad and US stuff may even be the same but quality control should be better and they filter out the bad. Worth paying for.
On 04/28/2017 01:36 PM, Frank wrote:
<snip>

Here is where it all started for me.
I do a lot of computer repair work and one day the unbelievable thing happened...I ran out of CMOS batteries!
No big deal, I'll just run over to the local drug store and pick one up, I'll pay a bit too much but big deal.
A battery which should have been may $2.50 was marked $7 !
No way could I do that.
I went on line and ordered from China.
Price was $2.58 but that is not the whole story. $2.58 for TWENTY of them and that INCLUDED shipping!!! 13 cents each I guess
They arrived in ten days and they are A-1 .
Identical as far as I can tell to the $7 drugstore variety.
On 4/28/2017 2:55 PM, philo wrote:

Drugstore is the last place to buy batteries. If I could use 20 I'd probably look at Amazon. This type battery might not matter even if 19 were bad you made out.
On 04/28/2017 02:04 PM, Frank wrote:

Of course it is but it is two blocks from my house and until I saw the price I wanted it ASAP

I've nipped over to my local Princess Auto store (Canadian version of "Harbour Fright" and picked them up 10 or 12 for $2.99 on sale. - no waiting.
On 04/28/2017 04:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

With on-line shopping so easy I hardly ever take the car out to go shopping. Though I wanted to get the battery right I way I did not /need/ to get it right away.

When a customer is waiting for their machine 10-40 days on the "slow boat from China" isn't an option, and PA isn't much farther than a local computer supplier where my wholesale price is about $2.99 each.
When I'm "on the clock" it's still cheaper to even grab one at a drug store than to drive an extra 8 blocks for a $2.99 battery - as difficult as it is to get my head around THAT some days!!!!.
That said, today was the last day of 1/3 of my working life going to the same office every morning (16 years of my 48) for 8:30. One more step towards retirement. I'm not quite retired yet - just tired!!!!
On 4/28/2017 8:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:
<SNIP>

I had the same job for 38 years...or I should say I never changed jobs. The company I worked for had been bought out several times and I went from working for a small local company to a large world-wide corporation. Ironically, without me changing jobs, the company I ended up with was the competitor to the one I started with.
I was planning on retiring after 40 years but my knees had to be replaced and I had to retire. When my doctor said. "Sorry but you won't be able to go back to work. " I smiled and said, "No need to apologize."
I would have been OK for desk work but I was a field service engineer and had a lot of physical work was involved.
I still do some computer repair work and if I had a paying customer waiting, $7 for a CMOS battery would not have been a big deal.

When doing work you can recover your cost it is often better to pay more for an item and get the customer going.
When working a large motor speed control quit. The factory repair main replaced 2 large diodes. There were 3 of them as this was a 3 phase system. I asked him to replace the 3 rd one. He said they were $ 50 each. I told him I don't care as it was costing up about $ 1000 an hour to be down plus your charge to come back in if needed. It may not need changing, but why take the chance.
On 4/28/2017 11:58 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

exactly. If you have a car with a timing belt, it is often just the cost of parts to replace the water pump at the same time. There are a lot of situations like that. $10 or $40 now rather than $500 if it breaks next week.
On 4/29/2017 6:08 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Exactly. If two of the three crap out, what are the odds?

LOL! You own a Honda too, eh?
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net says...

I had a Toyota and it is about the same. An independant garage did all my work at one time. The fellow just happened to have a car similar to mine on the lift and the covers off so he could show me the water pump was behind the timming belt that needs replacing every 70 or so thousand miles. He said he only charges the price of the pump to change it out while changing the belt.
On 04/28/2017 10:58 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Someone brought me a power supply for a very high end film scanner. It has four bridge rectifiers two of which had been replaced a while back. One of the original ones is bad but I'm going to replace the still-good original one as well. They are about $8 each.
"philo" wrote in message wrote:

Someone brought me a power supply for a very high end film scanner. It has four bridge rectifiers two of which had been replaced a while back. One of the original ones is bad but I'm going to replace the still-good original one as well. They are about $8 each.
**Are you sure they are Diodes' and not the Triacs
On 04/30/2017 12:37 PM, Tony944 wrote:

Yep, simple bridge rectifier.
The box he gave me just contains the transformer and rectifiers.
It plugs into the device which I assume has a filter caps and regulation.
It's simple and straightforward.
I've worked on this type of equipment since the 70's