Computer problem solved

With Win7, by the time I installed the OS, the updates and the software the machine usually got at least 16 hours of use.

I'd start the update process before going to bed and let it run all night.

I am aware of stress testing but have only had one mobo die within a month after returning it to a customer.

Reply to
philo

Anybody restoring an Isetta definitely needs help... Of course I have this secret lust for a Messerschmitt KR200. Maybe i could make do with this:

18 mph isn't that much slower than the real thing.
Reply to
rbowman

The only coding when I was a kid involved a ring I got from a box of cereal. My first exposure to FORTRAN IV on a 360/30 impressed me so much that I didn't do any coding until microprocessors came out and I snuck in the backdoor from TTL design.

Reply to
rbowman

awe gee... heart surgery? Hope all goes well with that Clare!

... and congrats on your daughter! That's exciting.

We took ballroom lessons for a while, and it's not to hard to learn one or two dances. It is kind of fun, too. :)

Reply to
Muggles

Even the idea of the internet wasn't something I'd heard anything about until the late 70's. Coding? What's coding? LOL No one knew how to do it, let alone teach someone else how to do it? Webpages? Graphics? There were no degree for those sort of things. You could buy books on it, though! I liked those books.

Reply to
Muggles

The company is replying to a request for proposal and apparently there was some question about the qualifications of the staff. The PM asked me what my degree was in. i think she was disappointed it wasn't Computer Science, but in '64 RPI didn't even have a CS department. Purdue was the first in '62 but it took a while for it to become a separate discipline.

Even today while there are CS degrees the recent graduates I've interviewed were taught yesterday's technology. I'm more interested if they know how to use Stack Exchange, Git Hub, and google to figure out what we're doing today.

Reply to
rbowman

I don't know if I'd fully agree with you on that or not. Gigabyte was a decent female coder, back in the day.

Reply to
Diesel

That's not what I meant, but, okay...

Again, that's not what I meant by burn in test...

aware as in actually ran burn in tests, or, just aware as in you know such software exists specifically for the purpose?

Reply to
Diesel

Like I said, I've known a few... Back in the '80s the school age population in Massachusetts had started to decline and the schools were laying off teachers. Some genius had the idea of retreading them to programmers for the expanding tech industry. Again, not that they couldn't learn how to program but someone who chose an occupation dealing with people, especially young people, might not make an enthusiastic cube rat.

Reply to
rbowman

I am aware of "stress test" software and have used it but rarely.

I think I have "stresslinux" among my tools but for the most part use memtest to have an idea if the RAM is any good.

On a few rare occasions I've had mobos that did not perform properly & just put them in the recycle bin. Stuff like that is pretty rare though.

For the most part I'm dealing with discarded junk someone else gave up on so I have no money put into this stuff

Reply to
philo

I understand your point. Gigabyte isn't from the states. Where she's from, the education system is much better.

Reply to
Diesel

yeah These days they want you to have a degree to prove you can do something you've done for a very long time already!

Reply to
Muggles

Depending on the degree and how many you've managed to acquire, along with certifications of various kinds, you can actually find yourself in the most ludicrous position of all; 'grossly overqualified'

*sigh* Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

As far as the degree is just to prove you can do something you've been doing for a very long time already, yes and no. The degree semi ensures you understanding the underlying concepts behind whatever the degree is for, and, you've demonstrated the ability to apply them. It doesn't 'prove' you've done whatever the degree is about for a long/short period of time, though. That's called hands on experience.

Reply to
Diesel