OT: Apollo guidance computer

I expect some here may find this interesting, the original source code for the Apollo guidance computer (AGC) as used in the command module and lunar lander:

And if you want to run it, there is a virtual AGC as well:

John Rumm

And people have built replicas.

Reply to
Bob Eager

where are the assembler mnemonics described ?.

Reply to
Andrew

John Rumm

Probably also worth mentioning not all the code was in assembler - they included an interpreter as well, so that they could get more functionality out of the limited available storage, at the cost of reduced execution speed.

Reply to
John Rumm

They don't make it easy to see the actual code. In the end, I gave up.

Reply to
Pamela

So what processors were around in 1969? I think Texas did one as I recall, most of the others mwere more like microcontrollers. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> posted

Wasn't the Intel 4040 the first single-chip CPU, sometime around 1973? Followed by the 8080 in 1975 IIRC?

Reply to
The Marquis Saint Evremonde

If you're thinking about microprocessors then the answer is none, for Intel's 4004 did not surface until 1971 / 72

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

4004 in 1971...
Reply to
Bob Eager

The actual code is red, and not commented out with a hash.

Reply to
Andrew

That's what I always thought. I'm sure I read somewhere that the

4004 was derived from the Apollo AGC microprocessor.
Reply to
Andrew

Its pretty easy... look at (for example)

(command module folder)

Now click on any of the .agc files. For example the ALARM_AND_ABORT.agc and you will get (in theory) the source code listing in AGC assembly language.

(I say in theory, since I was getting errors from the site on some access attempts)

Reply to
John Rumm

As in what we think of today as a processor - none. The Apollo hardware was a custom built processor *board* (not an IC - they were too new and expensive!).

There is a good description of it here:

John Rumm

That works, thanks.

I couldn't find my my way to those AGC files. The code in my navigation module must be faulty!

Reply to
Pamela

The first processor I worked on was about twenty boards with no really big ICs on them. Mostly TTL 74xxx series.

A lot of the stuff was line drivers as there were links to multiple CPUs and multiple memory modules that were shared.

Then there was the IO to the switch and other stuff.

The whole thing was several racks.

It was about the same era or a couple of years later.

Reply to
dennis

1201 or 1202 ??
Reply to
Andrew

There's a series of Youtube videos documenting the restoration of an AGC, starting here:

Various people have tried recreating their own versions of the electroluminescent DSKY (display & keyboard) used with the AGC. Here's one successful effort:

Graham Nye

No, 500 server errors

Reply to
John Rumm