OT: Firewood splitting/burning qualities questions

There are things that are bigger than money you know?

How would you 'cost' a process that could (say) eventually 'cost' all our lives?

And so you (we all) should. 'Reduce Reuse Recycle' ...

See above.

See above. ;-)

See above (but good to hear etc). ;-)

I wouldn't worry if he hadn't because people are unlikely to fly-tip anything of value.

<shrug>

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Of course it does.

Yes, where 'it' is all of us.

Hopefully your grandchildren will forgive you.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

That red mist make you post that twice did it Jimmy? ;-(

I've explained the facts around what I did, how I did it and why but 'of course', there is no way a left brainer like you could understand anything from that.

So you just carry on making stuff up, as long as it makes you feel good ...

Get well soon!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

No, I posted the facts I did, you (and your heavily blinkered and biased left brain) came to conclusion you / it did. Completely wrong as usual.

Aww, bless ... as long as you aren't in pain ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

fires is

You're forgetting the replanting of the felled areas to supply Drax with carbon captured woodchip in 50 years time...

Yep, the planet and life is well capable of looking after itself in the long term. There have been about half a dozen mass extinctions in the past but the planet and life has survived.

Once the planet gets really pissed of with us it'll make a "correction", probably with quite a bit of collateral damage to other species. Something will survive and the evolution will take the opportunity to produce a whole new set of dominant creatures. I suspect h*mo sapiens will survive as well but knocked back to semi-nomadic hunter gatherers.

"Saving the Planet" is a bit of misnomer, "Saving Ourselves" is more accurate.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The return walk to the local Co-op and/or Spar would take me two hours along a national speed limit B road with no pavements.

If those shops had everything we wanted there would be too much for me to carry, even useing a large rucksack. Oh and this is food shopping only...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not everyone takes jollies abroad for holidays... If it wasn't for the 3 month "round the world" backpacking trip I took after being made redundant most of my flying would have been for work.

Passenger jets can glide quite well, "gimli glider".

Travel sickness is not fun. I was terrible as a child, would throw up withing 50 miles of any car journey. Planes are OK(ish), if encountering clear air turbulance I can normally just go to sleep for an hour as we pass through it. Trouble comes with more turbulance... Boats, on the sea, just say no. Unless it's a 20' open boat in a 15' swell, too busy hanging on to worry about throwing up. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm not ... and if only it was just 50 years Dave. ;-( It should be, but there are RW examples of them felling much older timber than that and across vast areas.

Again, I have no issue with (managed) felling of trees but not to burn (releasing the Co2 and other pollution). Make it into things and retain the CO2 and don't make the pollution?

Yup. ;-)

That'll teach em ... or will it? ;-(

Quite!

But isn't it a shame that some still don't seem to get it. Maybe they don't have ... or care about their children and being old (often), simply don't care as they know they will be long done before it really his the fan (and can hide from the responsibility / consequences, being dead)?

I think they have had some explanations of and solutions to this in recent films, like Kingsman: ;-) (poor quality)

I feel we (my family etc) could cope better than some because we don't seem to need pampering as much as some (who often state how they simply couldn't live without central heating, aircon or their hot tub).

We like walking, cycling, camping ... we don't have any luxury cars or simply must have a mint on the pillow of our holiday hotel room after spending a day burning our skin round the pool. We would rather return to our tent after a good day exploring the countryside / sailing / cycling etc. ;-)

I think 'people who can do' will stand a much better chance of surviving, once the revolution comes. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Trouble is the vast majority of the CO2 released by man is derived from carbon that was taken from the atmosphere millions of years ago. It's also being released very quickly, the planet will clean it up but on geological time scales not human ones.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Aww bless.

See, for left brainers like TNP, the world is only what you have actually experienced yourself (a bit like the Flatworlders), rather that what you have seen / learned about from books / the media / other people.

And by spending more time exploring the UK (and less polluting the air around the world via air transport), I know exactly what is going on in it and can therefore dispel most of the BS the basement dwelling Left Brainers (like TNP / harry) put out in their propaganda streams.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Of course it will.

but knocked back to

Not a chance. We can grow anything anywhere now and will keep doing that.

Nope.

Reply to
Levi Jones

So, we now find out you do actually try to recycle (hard man credentials slipping a bit there <g>) so what do you do for exercise?

Some run in circles round the block, or even whilst going nowhere (on a treadmill) and others pay to go into a big room and lift weights or bend and stretch.

We don't do those, we walk with the dogs whilst exploring the countryside, or go shopping on foot (generally with the trolley for the 'big shop').

It's *easier* and often quicker for us in an overall convenience POV (inc parking, getting stuff into a trolley, getting it to the car) and it's better for the environment than if we were to drive ... plus we get some more exercise and often meet more people along the way. ;-)

We generally walk to my Mums, or the local park (again, often with the dogs) and when 'her' Mum and Dad were alive and they moved away (10 miles) when they downsized, we used to cycle to see them, along the towpath.

No 'putting ourselves out', enjoying what we do and keeping fit (or certainly fitter than we would have been otherwise) in the meantime.

Daughter is 29, is pretty strong and has a pretty physical job (often working outside) and towards the end of a day of us working together, asked why I (at 63) wasn't exhausted (like her). ;-)

Yesterday we walked to my Mums with the dogs then walked nearly the same distance back to go shopping (via the cafe for a treat <g>). We did our weekly shop (over £100's worth) and walked it home (in the drizzle) with trolley and a couple of bags. Then we walked back to Mums and then took the dogs for a walk to and around the park and then walked home.

A 'good' dog walk for us is only about 5 miles as the Mrs is nearly 70 and is trying to conserve her metal knees a bit. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Very true, ourselves and the particular forms of biodiversity we have a sentimental affectiion for.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I wonder what the proportion of the population (of the UK) it is?

That sounds like a great thing to do (ignoring any flying etc).

I was offered the role of a sort of European Troubleshooter, going round our European offices and customers sorting out their (typically Datacomms) issues.

I declined the offer because I knew that in the real world that wouldn't be 'seeing the sights' but traveling all hours to data centres, fixing stuff and flying straight home again. I'm not a patient person when it comes to some things and waiting around in airports is one of those things I'd prefer to avoid at all possible cost.

I'd prefer 'very well' thanks (given man wasn't meant to fly in the first place) ... and they can't generally land (in one piece) in a school playing field. ;-)

That it's not, for anyone. ;-(

I was similar but many only if Dad lit up a small cigar (the thought / memory makes me heave now). [1]

Whilst I've only flown twice and both trips were pretty short and event free, there were a few lumps and bumps that make you stop whatever you are doing and wait for what is going to happen next.

What could be worrying (if you weren't aware of the testing and safety margins on most of this stuff) is when sitting at a windows seat, just behind the wing and seeing how little of it is actually solid and bolted to the fuselage! Once all the flaps had deployed there as only about 1/3rd of the wing root holding it all together!

That's how the Mrs would answer if someone offered her a free cruse, after going on one once and being badly sick pretty well the whole time. ;-(

Funnily that was the same with her. Nine months pregnant and keen to get things started we took her in a speedboat (RIB) off the East coast in the hope it would shake it out. It didn't work but she didn't feel seasick at all. ;-)

Dad was a Master Mariner (Shell Oil Tankers) and he also needed to find his 'sea legs' when returning to the sea after some shore leave.

I'm not fan of the sea, partly because of the seasickness (sailed round the South Coast > Alderney > Cherbourg for a week with the Ocean Youth Club and was sick though most of it) but preferring non tidal waters like lakes, rivers and canals.

Again, I prefer rowing and sailing to outboarding (noise and pollution) and now have an electric outboard that will push us along at a comfortable speed in absolute silence (much to the appreciation of everyone and my Tinnitus). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] I'd not considered I'd smelled a cigar for *ages* until the other day when my highly sensitive nostrils sensed someone was smoking one when we were outside a cafe in a park. A quick scan found some guy smoking one about 20m away ... around people eating and kids etc ;-(
Reply to
T i m

Not really an option then. Even with a cycle and trailer it doesn't sound safe (no pavements).

I can generally get the contents of one of the smaller (not as deep) shopping trolleys in our two wheeled trolley, plus maybe one bag for the bulky / light stuff.

We are lucky ... or maybe we wanted it this way in that we can generally walk to most places that I would need to shop from, including PC, motorcycle, car parts, food, hardware and the local car garage.

Living in the country is 'nice', as long as you are willing to accept the cost (in time, fuel and pollution) of doing so.

Daughter lived in Dumfries with her bf and his family for 6 months and to go to somewhere that would stock say a headlight lamp (on a Sunday) was a 50 mile round trip. For me it might be a 30 min walk (round trip), if one of the several petrol stations didn't stock one.

My first job (BT) was about 2 miles away (Lambretta scooter). Another was 1 mile away for 5 years, till they moved to the top of our road for the last 10. The rest have been commuting into the City of London by train. I have had offers of work further away (5+ mile drive) and turned them down, *because* of how much I knew the commuting would get me down (for many reasons).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well put.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

What is the relevance of the lack of pavements to the use of a cycle and trailer?

Reply to
Mark Allread

What relevance is the lack of pavements to the safty and use of a cycle and trailer?

Reply to
Mark Allread

Have you ever cycled along a national speed limit A road ... at night especially or with a low sun, even without a trailer?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes.

Do you break the law and cycle on the pavement? Are you one of the people who believe that the law(s) do not apply to them?

Reply to
Mark Allread