From Tree to Firewood: Understanding the Techniques and Tools of Wood Splitting

wood splitting with an axe can take out your eye, are either of these 2 products worth having?

250: £65.00

Splitter Manual Weight Log Splitter £69.95

or what else? [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

The second (slide hammer on a constrained wedge) looks like the best. Those vertical spear splitters are tiring to use, as you're working them with your forearms rather than your shoulders. They also look like a foot-spiking hazard!

My favoured solution is a wedge and a hammer or maul. "Log grenades" (a pyramid wedge) are quite good, and much cheaper. Great for softwood. For hardwood I still favour flat wedges.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

A pair of goggles are much cheaper. I put the logs in an old rubber tyre on the chopping block, that saves a lot of bending and lifting.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

No.

For real dirty real life splitting you need something like 200 tons of hydraulic wedgery.

Anything those gadgets can do you can do with a 'bomb' just as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For splitting there is absolutely no competition. A small engine driving a big flywheel with an axe head on the outer edge of it. Add a bench to slide the logs across, with a cutout for the axehead. I've seen this demonstrated, and it splits logs like a knife splits butter, seriously you can do a log a second effortlessly. Add a barrier so you cant quite reach the axehead with hands.

NT

Reply to
NT

there is something intrinsically satisfying about using an axe. Man up.

Reply to
misterroy

I'd use a sledgehammer + wedge rather than those two.

Hydraulic splitter is good for tricky stuff - we've got a cheap manual ten-ton one, the cheap electric ones are rated at four tons.

Reply to
Clive George

meh, you could miss and chop your todger off too,

maybe one of these would feel safer?? :)

Gazz

John Rumm

them ever seem to be 'pipelined', it could do it in just over half the time if it was chopping off a new section ready to drop into place while it was splitting the previous one ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

screw, and it isn't going to stop whatever is in the way. It probably wrecks the differential on the vehicle too - they aren't designed to run continuously with one wheel locked.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I doubt impaling your shin on it would be much fun either!

Reply to
John Rumm

This is it

that one lacks a key feature, which slows it down greatly. Add a good sized table to the front and logs can simply be slid into position from the side one per second.

NT

Reply to
NT

I bought a hydraulic splitter, and it's about the best tool I ever bought:

reasoned that if I hurt now, aged 51, after a session with the splitting maul, then I'll be crippling myself at 61, and incapable at

  1. So over the period I reckon it's two hundred and something quid well spent.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

I can partly envisage what you are talking about - any idea if a picture appears on google at all and what search finds it?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I've got one that is a little larger and works vertically. I think I managed to keep going with an axe until midlde 60's but 5 years later I really don't have the strength for doing the volume of logs needed.

Reply to
robgraham

OK belay that - it's answered already !

Reply to
robgraham

yes :) The other mistake in that video is that the operators hands can reach the chopper, which on a machine like that is plain dangerous. A fence in front of it will allow hands to get close enough to move the logs, but not quite close enough to touch the axe of doom.

NT

Reply to
NT

I wonder if it works as well with the bigger stuff? (most of the logs we split up here are over a foot in diameter; BIL's hydraulic splitter handles them fine, but it's not the fastest device - choppy axe-heads on a flywheel would certainly be a lot quicker :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Thanks everyone, ive just ordered this one:

Wolf Powerful Hydraulic 10 Ton Log Splitter £114.97

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]