OT: Exercise

I've been trying to get fitter, so going for walks of 6-7 miles every day. But the number of calories expended is pretty pitiful. Today was 700 Calories, which is only equivalent to a Big Mac and half a medium fries. I've not come anywhere near a full meal including a milkshake. :)
On 02/07/2017 19:18, GB wrote:

It doesn't matter about the calories. The exercise is a good thing anyway.
Bill

It does if you are trying to lose weight.

Depends on the nature of the exercise.
on 02/07/2017, GB supposed :

Stop eating the Big Macs then :')
GB wrote:

Yeah, but the "normal" 2500 or however many calories/day is what it takes to sit on a sofa, a deficit of 700 calories/day should lose you over a pound a week, which is a sensible rate ... easy enough for a few months, the difficult bit is keeping it off afterwards.

Yeah, its hopeless in that regard. But the other aspect is that allegedly the exercise done right does have some effect on the metabolism, winding it up a bit in the right direction.
I do weigh myself first thing every day in a reproducible config clothes wise and do find that when I eat one of the higher calorie dinners, it does help to have walked at least that far that day to avoid that putting on any weight.
I also lost more than 10% over a few just by not eating much at all a couple of days a week.

Yeah, it takes a surprising amount of exercise to burn off even just a peanut.
On Sunday, 2 July 2017 20:14:45 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

I ate a whole bag of peanuts last night - this morning and I'm sure I can already feel them wobbling on the waistline.
Or maybe it was the nine Snickers bars on Friday :-)
Owain
On 02/07/17 19:18, GB wrote:

Don't forget alcohol. I drink 4 bottles of wine a week. At 700 calories per bottle that's 2,800 calories per week. When I (occasionally) go on the wagon I lose a stone.
Don't feel any more cheerful though.
Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie

bet your liver does though ...

I saw a good poster the other week: Wine is groceries not a luxury.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 02/07/2017 20:37, charles wrote:

Quite right. There's always experts banging on about the Mediterranean diet and that traditionally includes a lot of calories from wine as well as olive oil.
Mind you, they rarely mention the effort the Mediterranean peasants had to put in to nurture, harvest and produce the bloody stuff.
--
Robin

It's actually quite funny how some drinkers don't consider wine alcohol. That in some way alcohol in wine does less damage than any other if you drink too much.
--
*That's it! I?m calling grandma!

but, it's part of the "mediterranian diet" which is supposed to be so good for us ;-)
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 04/07/2017 11:05, charles wrote:

Like pizza and pasta.
--
Max Demian

Yup. A small glass of red wine is meant to be good for you. So a couple of bottles a day must be even better. ;-)
--
*I tried to catch some fog, but I mist.*

that's called "homeopathy">

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 04/07/2017 15:28, charles wrote:

If you actually want to lose weight in a sustainable way then the 5+2 diet is about as good as any. Fast for two days and eat normally for the others - on and cut down on the alcohol and soft drinks (none at all on the fasting days - they are very high energy content).

No. Homeopathy would be drinking some water from a glass that three years ago had some wine in and has been washed daily ever since.
All homeopathic practitioners should be forced to live for 3 years in a malaria infested swamp protected only by their own quack medication. Any survivors would then be permitted to practice homeopathy.

The dose makes the poison.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 7/5/2017 8:45 AM, Martin Brown wrote:

+1
And the exercise of calculating the calories on those days soon shows you what to avoid. I was amazed to find out how much sugar there is in granola, for example.
Drinking sugar-free ginger beer ATM, that's actually pretty low.
On 05/07/2017 12:02, newshound wrote:

I've found a 4:3 successful. I limit my intake to 600 kcal on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and eat (and drink) as much as I want on the other days. My weight went from 14st to 12st in a year, and has since stabilised at 11st 8lb to 12st.

I've found that frosted flakes have exactly the same calorie content as plain corn flakes of the same brand, so I eat the former without any sugar. (Presumably the plain corn flakes have the sugar baked into the flakes where frosted flakes have it all on the outside. Frosted flakes have rather more sugar and less starch, so the carbohydrate content is the same.)
--
Max Demian

On 05/07/2017 13:26, Max Demian wrote:

ALL cereals have pretty much the same calories per 100gms, as they are all carbohydrates. The exceptions are some have more bran (cellulose that you may be unable to digest) and some have more fat (more calories than carbohydrate per gram).
Sugar is denser than the toasted starch in cornflakes, so you may get slightly fewer flakes with the frosted ones. But the chief difference is that the sugar gets into your bloodstream very quickly, as a spike that may not be good for you. And it gets cleared out quickly by the insulin, and you feel flat a couple of hours later.