Today's DIY

Clear the drains (again) in preparation for man coming to do TV survey tomorrow to find out why they block all the time. My money's on willow roots.

Rearrange tools into new toolboxes. Old toolbox doesn't look any emptier!

Repair garden parasol. Cord's come off the winder. That was much more straight forward than I feared (fed the cord through using some 2mm solid core cable I had), although the tilting mechanism now doesn't work. :o(

More beer & a cool down to seek inspiration.

Reply to
Huge

If it is, are you aware of how, once they have been cleared by high pressure water jetting, drains can be lined with a fabric sleeve either reinforced by epoxy or polyester resin.

I had this done a few years ago, and to date it has been very successful, and less expensive than you might think.

Reply to
newshound

Thanks, that's very useful to know. Depending on what TV chappie finds, I shall consider it.

Reply to
Huge

Yes, we had ours done a few years ago, and, touch wood, all still OK. Paid for by insurers.

Reply to
Graeme

Woke at 6.30am due to hayfever, after going to bed drunk at 3am. Made some hardwood wedges and hammered them between a large oak gate post and the concrete drive. This got the post upright enough for the gate to operate normally, but it looks like I'll be fitting a new post next year because this one is a bit rotten. Repaired a puncture in a hand trolley. Repaired the hand trolley's handle. Did some more painting, outdoors in the shade. Went out taking photographs for a project. Found some very old venison in the freezer; cooked it and gave it to the dogs. Used a long reach hedge trimmer to clear an area that had become overgrown. Worked better than the strimmer and no need to fit the strimmer's frightening propeller thing. Worked on my picture project. Cooked a meal.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Quote "Willow roots".

These can travel horizontally, many times the height of the tree, and presumably a bit of epoxy lining isn't going to stopthem.

Perhaps make your own copper sulphate and pour that down the drains.

Reply to
Andrew

More experiments with monkey fists. I think I need some 4 mm soft briaded cord. Or give up and use a some 7 mm soft braided cord (which I have) with a granny knot loop

Filled some cracks between skirtings/door architarves.

Looked at ceiling that was painted Friday. Needs second coat but some marks are bleeding through. Need some stain stop...

First coat of emulsion at the edges of wall adjacent to skirtings and ceilings. SWMBO'd is happy to do the bulk of walls but not "the fiddly bits".

Adjusted main gate so it latches properly. It's normally open (but resting on a brick) but it's still dropped a bit. Needing to close it as a couple of teh neighbours ewes and lambs are getting onto the road and then exploring our in bye. Sheep poo *everywhere* and eat

*everything*.

Still not found my nice snips. B-(

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It will

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tidied up the workshop, but my back is giving trouble and I have lost a lot of sleep recently for various reasons.

So I went off for a couple of hours' sleep.

While asleep, SWMBO wallpapered the loo. Result.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hurrah!

I taught SWMBO to hang wallpaper a few years ago. Came home from work to find her proudly saying that she'd wallpapered the dining room. Well done!

Except she'd taken the light switch off without switching off the power.

Gulp.

Reply to
Huge

Depends on the exact problem. Mine was a cracked joint or pipe. The roots go in looking for water and then block the pipe. If the crack was caused by the growth of the main roots, lining might only provide a temporary solution. But my impression is that in many cases, roots just go around impervious obstacles and because they work by distributing stresses, they don't usually cause the initial damage. Obviously, if a tree is half uprooted by gales, or there is significant ground movement because of dry-out it could be different.

Reply to
newshound

Mine knows better than that.

She'd already papered the loo once. Then she decided she wanted the toilet facing at right angles to where it was. Various complications meant the wallpaper had to be done again.

When she's laid the flooring, I'll put the shelves up.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Read this thread.

Reply to
Dave W

Couple of rooms here have all the fittings hanging on their wires. They are in secondary insulation though, fold top sandwich bags. Whose primary purpose is to keep the emulsion off the fittings.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yup. Thats the way it works. It's rare for the roots to crack the pipes but once they are cracked you can gurantee the roots will get inside and make a right mess.

epoxy lining is a little bit flexible and wont crack.

Its cheaper than digging up a whole section and laying modern PVC.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sadly not. It would kill the Klargester and the farmer whose ditch the output goes into would be pretty pissed off.

Reply to
Huge