Today's DIY cockup

12V halogens do not last very long when connected to the mains.
Reply to
Huge

In message , Huge writes

Could we have a definition of "very long"? Low or high milliseconds?

Oooops

Reply to
Bill

Bet it was bright though (if briefly).....

Charles F

Reply to
Charles F

No I'd suspect not, so how did this inappropriate wiring occur.

Hope you were not working on live mains. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The answer of course is to have enough that you can daisy chain them like old fashioned Christmas lights.

However 24 lights in a kitchen is a little excessive. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'd suggest not. Indeed if daisy chaining them in series, although it could be done with 20, its wiser to use 24 so they are underrun to make them last longer. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

:-)

Reply to
ARW

You've just re-invented photoflood. Or more likely flash.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Having watched happless people trying to choose the right lamps in the supermarkets and sheds I am assuming that someone chose the wrong lamps and the solution was to change the lampholders.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Funny you should say that. Not one of the sheds or supermarkets round here sell an ordinary ES bulbholder to replace a BC one on a pendant fitting - so you can get a wider choice of CFL and LED mains lamps.

Even TLC. They sell an ordinary plastic BC holder for about a quid - but if you want an ES one, only brass and a fiver.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , Bill escribió:

And what shade of brown were the OP's trousers afterwards?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That's because you do not live in France

Reply to
ARW

Bet it was bright though.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

"ARW" wrote in news:m2geub$p9k$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I wonder why so many people from France come to the UK to buy their ES lamps?

I also wonder how many ES bulbs are lying unused at home because they were bought by mistake.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Septics have 110V Zip Strips that use 10 in series, with neon across back of each lamp to help find a failure

Adam Aglionby

A similar idea (if potentially lethal) for a 240v series light...

Andrew Gabriel

Would that be the 1 hour or the 6 hour (IIRC) photofloods?

Reply to
dennis

I'd have said low units of milliseconds.

Reply to
Huge

Not at all. Not sure what colour embarrasment is, though.

Reply to
Huge

Naah. Bought some second-hand furniture which has lamps in display cases. I assumed they were mains, since someone had just cut the wires off, but they're 12V. Who knows where the transformer went.

Reply to
Huge