DIY coming to a halt

It looks if my DIY efforts are coming to a halt during lockdown.

No chance of getting paint or plaster anywhere near where I live and no-one will deliver.

Reply to
alan_m

Our local newspaper reported that B&Q are reopening 14 stores in Kent. Presumably they are doing the same elsewhere.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I don't know about paint and plaster, specifically, but I had a delivery from Wickes on Saturday (and no extra charge for a weekend delivery). Had to wait towards two weeks for a slot.

Of course, as is always the way, am now kicking myself for the things I didn't include in the order. Focus on the paving slabs we needed.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I've been using Wickes click & collect a lot, although I often have to drive to a more remote branch as their stock levels seem lower than normal.

Reply to
Caecilius

Also Screwfix, and I did manage to buy a part for my boiler from a heating parts supplier. But Jewsons and Travis Perkins builders merchants are closed. Some builders have continued working.

Reply to
Michael Chare

They would be dumbo.

--

Reply to
GB

to Our local newspaper reported that B&Q are reopening 14 stores in Kent. Presumably they are doing the same elsewhere.

===

We were hoping to go to our nearest B&Q (Elgin) and it isn't easy. Seems to be some kind of time/space thing but we couldn't log in to find out.

At least there seems to be a 'click and collect' thing so might have to use that.

Reply to
Ophelia

I needed a tiny amount of magnolia paint for touching up. I couldn't find anywhere that would sell bog standard paint[1], even the tiny Dulux tester rollers that would go in an envelope. Wickes didn't have any paint at all on click and collect, but claimed to have it in stock for delivery. At the end of the process it then said the delivery would be 3 weeks.

That being rather too long, the only option was to buy 10 litres for a tenner from Screwfix. And I'm now wondering what to do with the remaining

9993ml.

Theo

[1] although I did spot that:
still selling, but they don't have a colour called magnolia and I CBA to try to colour match
Reply to
Theo

great excuse not to do any boring DIY .....

===

You had better hope your Mrs doesn't see that <g>

Reply to
Ophelia

I buy almost all of my DIY stuff on-line (Screwfis, Toolstation, CPC, TLC, etc.) and that's all working as well as it always did, no change!

Reply to
Chris Green

We're having no problems continuing to get coal, compost, horse and chicken feed etc. delivered here. The companies delivering this sort of stuff also deliver other heavy stuff if required.

Reply to
Chris Green

That's OK I have trained her to do diy and work on the car ....why assume it is only men that like doing DIT...? i

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Just went to the B&Q website to check. B&Q "are using a queue to limit the number of customers using the website at the same time".

WTF? I've not heard of SARS-2 being spread by too many people congregating on a website, B&Q seem to be ahead of the curve.

Reply to
Pancho

For 7 ml, I think I might have asked here!

If we had any, I'd have been happy to send you, ooooh, 10 ml. :-)

(Actually don't have any proper magnolia - a few litres of near-magnolia colours.)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Depending on the colour match you might need to do the whole wall...

It'll keep. Throughly clean the lid and tub seal areas and store somewhere cool but not where it'll get frosted. There might be a bit of oil on the surface when you come to use it in a year or so's time. It'll mix back in.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Then perhaps you could refrain from posting to such a boring group? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pound shops sometimes have small pots of paint and varnish.

Buy some of those bottles of wine that fit through letterboxes. Drink the wine. Refill the bottles with emulsion paint and ebay :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Quite. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You should try to look at Morrrisons, the queue can be over 20 minutes long to access the website.

Reply to
charles

As of last night the B&Q store 5 minutes away was totally closed, The nearest open store was a 80 mile round trip. It also appears that the only stock of paint and many other things was what they had at the beginning of the lock down and even in the few stores currently open for click and collect had zero stock. T

The same for my local Wickes. Trade paints stores in my locality are also closed for the duration.

Reply to
alan_m