Fire

There has just been a roof space fire in a converted mill in Derby/Notts border.

It really makes me wonder why Dry Risers are not mandated - even perhaps a dry deluge / sprinkler system - less costly than a wet system. It seems that because the "perfect solution" is too expensive we can't do anything. I cannot imagine a dry system would be prohibitive.

Squirting hoses from ground level and citing water shortages when next to a canal seems a bit odd.

Reply to
John

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote in news:NRTnG.66593 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx24.am:

Not a wet system - too much to go wrong and too much maintenance needed. But something that is installed that the Fire Service can connect to to get water up to where it is needed without relying on hosepipes. As I said - a Dry Riser - surely not very costly.

Reply to
John

There are other options.

I'm aware of a system which was being looked at for aircraft etc. Carrying large amounts of water and spraying it around in such areas isn't practical so the idea, which was tested, was to suppress the fire by using a fine mist. In simple terms, it stopped it spreading. With care, you can even us such a mist to extinguish SOME burning fuels by cooling them. The vapour release is then suppressed and the fuel itself doesn't burn.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Brian Reay snipped-for-privacy@m.com wrote in news:r7p579$1iva$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Sounds good.

Reply to
John

It would reduce the water damage if deploted early.

Reply to
John

but they've got to be able toa ccess the top end of the pipe

Reply to
charles

Rather like Mulsifyre, fairly common in power stations, for example for rotating plant with separate oil tanks.

IIRC these are normally "dry", and fed by a pump from the "towns mains" tank if required. Relatively high pressure conical sprays generating a dense mist.

newshound

only required at 18m and over the last time I looked....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

usualy in the protected zone of a stair enclosure or a lobby off it ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Seems to be a similar idea, at least for the fuel fires.

Of course, not remotely the same as just trying to put out a fuel fire with water, which isn't recommended!

Reply to
Brian Reay

Wales introduced sprinkler requirements for new houses as of 2017.

I'd like to see sprinklers, dry risers, or something, for most man-made structures. Including tyre dumps. Vehicle recyclers' yards. Factories. Warehouses. Including Ocado distribution centres.

polygonum_on_google

When my local B&Q was set on fire c1999 (1) it was said that the reason they hadn't install sprinklers was that in the event of a fire the stock would be smoke damaged and written off and the building would be more easily replaced than repaired so there was no point. Presumably the cost of their insurance policy reflects this strategy.

(1) Itinerants suspected of shoplifting and asked to leave the store sent a child (who they knew was too young to be prosecuted) back inside to start the fire in the paint section.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

and one over your head in case you self-ignite ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Unless it is a museum or gallery with valuable paintings below.

Reply to
Andrew

I can see that argument but when there is a significant fire, the fire brigade has much to manage. They have been many occasions when winds have fanned flames resulting in damage to other properties. No fire expert, but it seems likely that the more limited a fire, the less danger to the people involved.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Yes very peculiar, maybe the canal owner was charging by the pint? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Probably electric fault. Rodents nibbling the wires etc. Can be got over using MICC or conduit. But expensive. At one time hospitals were entirely wired in MICC/conduit.

T think there's now technology can detect arcing and cut the circuit off.

Reply to
harry

Yes, AFDD. Hospitals have long used insulation monitoring rather than RCDs, thus the electricity supply stays on when there's a leakage problem, the problem is just flagged so the circuit can be checked when it's not absolutely needed to be on. So I'd expect them to take a similar approach with arc detection.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Converted mill. Is that as in "converted to flats"? IIRC, we had something similar in Canterbury two, mebbe three, years ago. The roof space wasn't partitioned so I suppose if you went up through the ceiling in one flat you go do down through it in another flat.

Reply to
Tim Streater