Today's DIY

Cleared the drains. (Again - need to order a TV survey)

Fixed the gland seal on the stopcock (packed it out with PTFE tape)

Cut a bigger hole in the back of the kitchen cabinet to make access to the stopcock easier. :o)

Flame tested the PIR board that the house is insulated with.

Assembled the insect screen I bought on eBay last week.

Reply to
Huge

Any opinions on it yet?

Reply to
S Viemeister

Productive weekend :)

I went tile shopping... Now we have the style, I have locate it in smaller sizes to cope with wibbly walls (I reckon max 20cm in any direction)

Not sure who has flat enough walls for some of the ginormous tiles I saw!

Reply to
Tim Watts

When doing the bathroom I stripped off the crumbling lath and plaster and fitted plasterboard, making an ideal surface for large tiles.

Reply to
Nightjar

Today's DIFTN (for the neighbours)

Routed a round-over edge on all the sleepers they've had installed

Cut out 25m of slack SWA and re-joined with a resin filled connector in the feed to an outdoor socket which was moved by the same mob that fitted the sleepers, but where both ends got slabbed over without thinking where the excess would go.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Somebody needs to invent bendable tiles, obviously. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This weekend's DIY:

  1. Boxed in a battery in the motorhome (yes I ventilated the box)
  2. Rewired two other batteries in the motorhome, with a better chassis connection and a better pos feed to the fuses
  3. Changed two bulbs on the back of the motorhome and wondered if it would be worth swapping everything for LEDs
  4. Changed one of the brake light bulbs on the trailer and wondered if it would be worth swapping everything for LEDs
  5. Removed the gas jets in the motorhome cooker with the intention of getting some new ones, since the threads are poor
  6. Strengthened the mount for the motorhome dashcam to reduce vibration
  7. Found that the exhaust clamps under the motorhome are the wrong size and won't tighten.

House? No chance. Garden? You must be joking.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Just finished clearing up.

Bloody excellent. 9.5/10. Good extrusions, good joints, high quality mesh.

It loses half a point for the instructions for the brackets that are supposed to retain it to the window frame, which I cannot for the life of me work out. I fastened it up with sticky velcro, same as the last ones.

I shall be buying at least another 3.

Reply to
Huge

Weekend? That was just this afternoon!

Reply to
Huge

All I did was:

slot 6 more concrete gravel boards (150mm recessed only!) into concrete fence posts (needed due to neighbour using fence as retaining wall for soil and assorted junk)

repair (=bodger) the panels where loose

Oh, and devise an Excel spreadsheet to work out how high I needed to prop the panels above the old gravel boards in order to get the new ones in ;)

Reply to
Robin

Depressing? I mostly do it because I enjoy it! I can afford to pay someone to do most of this, but I choose not to.

Oh, and I forgot something, which was to make up some more boric acid/icing sugar mix for the benefit of the ants.

That makes you one up on me. I hate Excel.

Reply to
Huge

On 6/25/2017 12:58 PM, Huge wrote: > On 2017-06-25, S Viemeister wrote: >> On 6/25/2017 11:57 AM, Huge wrote: >> >>> Assembled the insect screen I bought on eBay last week. >>> >> Any opinions on it yet? > > Just finished clearing up. > > Bloody excellent. 9.5/10. Good extrusions, good joints, high quality > mesh. > > It loses half a point for the instructions for the brackets that are > supposed to retain it to the window frame, which I cannot for the life of > me work out. I fastened it up with sticky velcro, same as the last ones. > Ah. I was wondering about that. I couldn't figure it out from the photos. My windows tilt in, so velcro-ing the screens to the outer frame would work (it's what I did last time), but I was really hoping for a non-Velcro solution.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Well, me too. They provide 4 "L" shaped brackets, and screws to fasten them to the frames, but the diagrams make no sense.

Do. They are much superior to the last lot I bought, which were American, and the aluminium extrusions were very fragile. These are much chunkier. I'm very pleased, and what's more, SWMBO is too!

Reply to
Huge

I know of a builder using those panels (~12" ones) as a retaining wall. They started to break in the middle after about 6 weeks. Then they concreted another post in behind the panels to support the centre. I wouldn't buy one of the houses.

Reply to
dennis

In article , Huge writes

Simple job Few years ago replaced interior doors. Carefully drilled 22mm holes and hole for spindle, Cute rebate for end plate and fixed catches with screws and fitted catches. Recently one broke, Eventually managed to get the door open!! Popped down to B&Q and bought replacement. Simple job to pop it n and screw everything back together. Except that the old catches had sloped shoulders to fit in the hole. But some b***** in purchasing obviously hadn't bothered about that and had bought cheap shit from China with square shoulders which wouldn't go into aforementioned 22mm hole. RTFM - Fitting instructions "Drill a 22mm diameter hole. You may need to notch the hole to fit the catch" No. not "may", "will". What a fiddling job that was basically cutting a flat across the top and bottom of the hole across the grain. But eventually got the catch to slide in. Then discovered that the new end plate was ever so slightly larger then the old one so had to extend the rebate slightly. Not to worry soon was fitting nice and flush. Just a matter of popping in the screws, except that the holes on the new plate were just a bit closer together than the old plate. Grrr. If I could get my hands on the tw** in purchasing....

Reply to
bert

Huh!

Yesterday was spent creating a studwork corridor across what used to be the loft.

This morning was spent scratching my head as to why the door openings to the new bedroom and bathroom were 12mm or so narrower at the top than the carefully measured 820mm standard door kit!

The noggins were all precision cut to length and screwed up tight. The uprights were all PAR timber so????

Well, before Phil jumps in, builders tolerance! Basically the original walls are not vertical and my precision fitting had simply carried this through to the opening at the doors!

Sorting that out and fitting 3 sheets of plasterboard has taken the rest of the day:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

My equivalent was fitting new interior door, latches and handles throughout the house when I moved in. Many years later the spring in one failed and every replacement I got hold of was about a mm too large for the existing hole :(

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Artex :-)

Reply to
Andrew

new multikwik on the cludgy ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

A friends 10yr+ old Indesit fridge door was wobbling on the lower hinge peg and not quite closing, so had it off and found said peg had gourged away some rather friable plastic and foam.

I fashioned a small bit of aluminium sheet in place, made a bushing out of the plastic sleeve normally used for a wall anchor bolt and it's now swinging fine.

Now thinking, some one could do a profitable line in selling secondhand fridge doors... In someone else's hands, this whole fridge would have been destined for the dump.

Also fixed my car mechanic's inspection LED torch that had an inductor trashed when dropped. Someone thought sealing the insides with bitumen mastic was a great idea. Nasty messy gooey stuff....

Now giving a little node js / express project a bit of a class refactoring before bedtime, which is probably going to break badly and I'll not get some sleep.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz