OT: Engine remaps

I've always tried to buy cars with enough poke, but we bought a Volvo 1.6 diesel because it was a pretty colour and free road tax.
I've not enjoyed it at all, i'd say it was so flat on the bottom end that it's dangerous to drive especially when pulling into traffic and have been thinking of getting shut.
Anyway, we had it remapped and it's a totally different car, pulls much better and if you put the effort in it's actually more economical than ever.
I've always been a sceptic but pleased with the results. Just hoping it doesn't blow up.

I’ve certainly followed some quick BMW diesels that have been *really* smoky. Could just have been faulty but I have my suspicions...
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 18/02/2020 07:31, Tim+ wrote:

White or black smoke? White because they have been thrashed and are burning oil?

Black as a over-fuelling diesel.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

In article

Quite. Just drive along the M4 out of London to where it leaves the overhead part and becomes 70 mph to see all the diesels smoke when the foot goes down. Make sure you set the ventilation to re-circ first.
--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

The Scudo uses a litre of oil every 8000 to 10000 miles of driving. Now I cannot see it smoke until it is dark and there is a car behind me with the headlights on.
--
Adam

On 18/02/2020 07:31, Tim+ wrote:

Suggests either a failed DPF or a DPF delete. Proper high performance modern diesels with DPF should not show traditionally sooty/dirty exhausts.
Even VAG vehicles with emissions defeat software didn't have sooty/dirty exhaust. The whole point was the NOX emissions were way up but it looked clean. If it looked dirty it would not have passed the emissions checks it was cheating.
On 17/02/2020 21:47, R D S wrote:

The theory/claim behind remaps is that the 'standard' map in the engine is a 'one size fits all' - not only in terms of overall performance (balancing economy, engine output, stress etc) but also the characteristics of the individual engine.
By 'tweaking' things, the remap can adjust the trade off and, possibly to an extent, allow for the characteristics of 'your' engine. How much the difference latter makes with modern production techniques is open to debate. How much difference in real terms is there between your Volvo engine and the next one off the production line- or even one made a month before?
Certainly remapping is popular in some quarters. Some motorhomers have their engines remapped - especially those who have bought the less powerful versions and found they'd like a bit more 'umpf' or even economy. I've never bothered, I opted to go for the more powerful version originally, at least in our current MH as it is heavier- mainly as it is less complicated insurance wise.
As for damaging the engine, I suspect if the tweaking is modest then the chances of damage are modest. As I understand it, some more powerful versions of the same vehicle use the same basic engine but the extra power is gained by changing either tuning and/or ancillaries. That suggests the basic engine has some safety margin.

Remapping a diesel usually involves increasing the turbo boost.
Remapping a modern non turbo engine very unlikely to make much difference. Apart from in the bar.
--
*Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote :

Or the injector open period.

It can make a considerable difference to the power and/or the drivability of a car.
It happens that Dave Plowman (News) formulated :

A diesels power output is controlled or throttled by the injection period / how much fuel is injected for each induction stroke. Some engines are deliberately throttled to less than the maximum, so those engines can be remapped without worsening the emissions.
My BMW engine has been remapped, which has added 30bhp, improved the torque, made it more tractable and a much nicer drive. Emissions and economy have been improved slightly.
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It's a turbo, though?
--
*I got a sweater for Christmas. I really wanted a screamer or a moaner*

Dave Plowman (News) expressed precisely :

It is a turbo.
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Err, I didn't. ;-)

--
*I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce

My VW Transporter is like that.

--
bert

I suspect that there are very few non-turbo diesels around now (in new cars at least).
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

writes

Manufacturers make a standard engine. They then set the mapping to give 2 or 3 different power outputs and then charge gullible customers as if it were a different physical engine. Just like they used to charge extra for a few cheap fittings in L GL GLS versions.
--
bert

On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 15:21:59 +0000, bert wrote:

Going back, those distinctions were necessary for the company car market. So a deputy assistant under manager could have a car very slightly "better" than an assistant deputy assistant under manager.
I was amused to note that meant on a Montego a fuel warning *light* was part of the trim. A friend had the model with just a gauge. My we had some laughs running out of fuel ....
On 18/02/2020 16:23, Jethro_uk wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W-SK9ynKBg

--
Adam

I had a Jag XR8 and in the handbook it mentioned "optional" cup holders. The Jeeps on the other hand came with everything as standard, electric seats, acd, cruise control his and hers fob keys alloy wheels etc.
--
bert