Which newsrerader?

Because i'm ####ing sick of the way Thunderbird puts the reply (to author rather than followup) button back every time it does an update!
On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 21:50:23 +0000, R D S wrote:

http://pan.rebelbase.com/
R D S wrote:

I often used to wonder why lots of people complain about the reply/followup confusion, it never affected my TB, and wondered If it was due to some ancient setting in my profile that had now been hidden in the settings dialogs.
I think the reason being that I use CompactHeader to hide the extra toolbar at the top of the message pane (I do also remove all the icons from that toolbar for good measure) and use the reply function in the top toolbar, which always does the 'correct' type of reply , regardless of whether it's an email or a usenet message ....
On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 21:50:23 +0000, R D S wrote:

Knode; Pan; SLRN; Sylpheed; Claws-mail. Or you can use some windows newsreaders, like Forte Agent, running under WINE.
On 17/02/2020 21:50, R D S wrote:

Odd. My Followup button has survived multiple updates. There is a dropdown if I want to reply or reply-all instead.
I had to set it up that way but it was a long time ago. Can't remember exactly what I had to do.
This is on Windows if it makes any difference
On 18/02/2020 11:23, Andrew May wrote:

Yes, i've got that button too. But a bloody reply button keeps reappearing next to it and as it's the leftmost button it's the one i'm drawn to click, it only takes 5 seconds to right click - customise and drag it away, but not until i've sent a handful of unintentional emails instead of followups.

Possibly.
On 18/02/2020 12:39, R D S wrote:

There is a way to get rid of this.
Manage it but Clapton knows how..

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.
On 18/02/2020 12:39, R D S wrote:

Yes, but you only need to hover over the REPLY button for a description to appear, and even if you missed it, you would only make the mistake once.

Or probably? Do you know which operating system you use - Windows, Linux, Mac etc? If on a Mac I've been using Usenapp for a while. it's only beta right now, but I'm finding it good.
--
Cheers, Rob

On 20/02/2020 17:48, RJH wrote:

Then reconfigure the app to remove the reply button on News
I can assure its doable. Just can't remember how I did it..
--
“People believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.
On 20/02/2020 17:48, RJH wrote:

I've found out how to fix thunderbird here
Right click on the REPLY TO button and select 'customise'. Add 'smart reply' and remove 'reply'
--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.

I've abandoned it because updates kept trashing the add-ins that made it work properly.
--
Cheers, Rob

Any other Turnpike users still on here?
--
bert

I'm here!
--
Tim Lamb

On 18/02/2020 18:35, Tim Lamb wrote:

Do you use Win 10 ?. Just curious.

No. In prospect but no rush.
Worth asking on the support group. Someone must have tried it.
demon.ip.support.turnpike
--
Tim Lamb

TP 6.07 works fine in Vista, W7, W8 and W10 - but only 32-bit. It does need a couple of simple tweaks (from memory, one of them is the Windows 'Always show menus') - but after that it looks almost identical to how it does in XP. You soon forget the differences.
Before you run Connect, you must run the two ICACLS commands (it's definitely a case of RTFM).
Apparently TP 5.01 does run in W7/8/10 64-bit. <https://demon.ip.support.turnpike.narkive.com/FHYtcqUQ/turnpike-may-have -to-go#post2> (at the very end). However, if the PC IS 64-bit, it might be easier to install a virtual 32-bit machine (such as 'XP Mode') - although the W7/8/10 will probably have to be Pro or above.
As suggested, ask for the real info from demon.ip.support.turnpike,
--
Ian

Yes, but 32 bit. It works, but it feels a bit different to 7 (and XP before that).
Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

Yes but 32 bit. You can run on 64 bit with a VM for TP. Connect will run on 64bit.
--
bert

Adrian