I don't understand HTML any more

Could anyone who is so inclined go to the web page

and explain to me why none of the text displayed on the page (if it displays on your browser) appears in the HTML source? Even if you highlight some of the body text, and press Ctrl-U to see the source, all you see is the source of the whole page, which contains none of the actual body text.

There is nothing particularly fancy about the page design. Why could they not just have written it in ordinary standard HTML?

Reply to
Maxwell Boltzmann

Because different people are writing the code and the content?

Reply to
newshound

It's loaded in the DOM. Try F12.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Its fashionable for 'creatives' to write web sites using javacript tools they dont understand

These become unreadable as source and virtually unmaintainable by the creatives, as well as taking 20 times longer to display, but they look 'fashionable'...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its not a static HTML page - so the content would not-necessarily be included in it.

Its a dynamic page where the text is pulled in at "run" time by javascript code - typically from a database.

Looks like it might have been built with Angular, a popular web development framework that that takes all of the hard work out of making site that render correctly on all the different platforms in common use.

See:

John Rumm

It looks like there is a single web page

which is loaded and then looks at the rest of the url /en/ip_20_262 to determine (1) which language to use and (2) which press release to display.

Hence develop on (more complicated) angular web page instead of number_of_languages * number_of_press_releases simpler html pages.

Reply to
Andrew May

An official website of the European UnionHow do you know? Cookies This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more on how we use cookies and how you can change your settings. I accept cookies I refuse cookies Skip to main content Home - European Commission English EN Search this website

Search You are here: HomePress cornerFair Taxation Available languages: English Press release|18 February 2020|Brussels Fair Taxation: EU updates list of non-cooperative tax jurisdictions Page contents EU Finance Ministers today updated the EU list of non-cooperative tax jurisdictions. Four countries or territories- Cayman Islands, Palau, Panama and Seychelles - have been added to the list of non-cooperative tax jurisdictions, as they failed to comply with the required standards within the deadline. These join the eight jurisdictions -American Samoa, Fiji, Guam, Samoa, Oman, Trinidad and Tobago, Vanuatu and US Virgin Islands - that were already on the list and remain non-compliant. By contrast, over half of the countries covered by the 2019 listing exercise have been completely delisted, as they are now in line with all of the tax good governance standards. Following the update, Paolo Gentiloni, Commissioner for the Economy said: "The EU list of non-cooperative tax jurisdictions is helping to deliver real improvements in global tax transparency. To date, we have examined 95 countries' tax systems and the majority of these now comply with our good governance standards. This process has led to the elimination of over 120 harmful tax regimes worldwide - and dozens of countries have started to apply tax transparency standards. Our citizens expect the wealthiest individuals and corporations to pay their fair share in tax and any jurisdiction that enables them to avoid doing that must face the consequences. Today's decisions show that the EU is serious about making that happen." Under the EU listing process, jurisdictions are assessed against three main criteria - tax transparency, fair taxation and real economic activity. Those that fall short on any of these criteria are asked for a commitment to address the deficiencies within a set deadline. Next steps The Commission and Member States will continue the dialogue with those jurisdictions on the list and the annex II (jurisdictions with pending commitments) in advance of the next update of the EU list in October 2020. Another priority is to monitor countries that have been cleared to ensure that they apply tax good governance in practice. The EU listing remains a dynamic process, which will continue to develop in the years ahead to keep pace with international developments. Background Dialogue and outreach are a central part of the EU listing exercise. The Commission provides considerable support to third countries in strengthening the fight against tax abuse, as well as technical assistance to those that need it. This is particularly beneficial to developing countries, which are disproportionately hit by global tax abuse and illicit financial flows. In this context, the EU listing exercise contributes to core objectives of the Sustainable Development Goals. Of the 40 jurisdictions that have been assessed since the last major update of the EU list in March 2019, almost a dozen met the requirements and were completely delisted. This shows the positive results that the EU listing process can deliver. In terms of consequences, beyond the reputational damage of being listed, the listed jurisdictions are subject to defensive measures at both EU and Member State level. At EU level, this concerns the distribution of EU funds. At national level, Member States should apply countermeasures too, in line with a coordinated approach that they have agreed. For More Information Common EU list of third country jurisdictions for tax purposes Print friendly pdf & Fair Taxation English (55.827 kB - PDF) Download (55.827 kB - PDF) Press contact Daniel FERRIE Phone

+32 2 298 65 00 Mail snipped-for-privacy@ec.europa.eu IP/20/262 Share this page: Twitter Facebook LinkedIn E-mail European Commission European Commission website Follow the European Commission FacebookTwitterOther social media European Union EU institutions European Union About the Commission's new web presenceLanguage policyResources for partnersCookiesPrivacy policyLegal noticeContact
Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

I'm not sure what you are getting at, everything on the page can be read. Its pasted in another message. Many sites use templates these days and derive their content from files which can be formatted according to the browser accessing them, ie mobile or pc or whatever. I see this a lot, if it were hard coded into a page it would make it harder to update content, surely? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

I think the general thrust was that in many cases if you ask the web browser to display the HTML source code for the page you are looking at, then in among all the web markup code, you will also be able to see the content that is visible on the page when viewed normally.

On this one that is not the case. A look at the code shows none of the content since it appears that the content is pulled in by code running in the browser at display time. (i.e. it a "pull" from the client side rather than a "push" from the server).

Indeed - its generally good practice to separate the actual content from its presentation. That way the content is more easily re-used, and maintenance of it need not worry about how it will be presented. You can also update the presentation without having the content get in the way, and all the content will benefit from the presentation updates.

Many sites will separate out the presentation into cascading style sheets, and then use some javascript in the browser to identify the platform being used to view the page, and select the appropriate CCS to render the content for the current device. So will do that with dynamically sourced content at well.

This particular one goes several stages beyond that by using a complete application framework, which makes your output more akin to a complete stand-alone application rather than just a web page. That application can then run not only in any web browser, but can also be delivered to run as a native mobile or desktop application as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

So basically the stinkin' EU sticking its big nose into matters way beyond its remit yet again. Thank f*ck the UK is out.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I agree. We don't want to be interfering with our worthy (but very rich) citizens' tax evasion, do we?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Gosh, don't we? Well, who knew, eh?

BTW which tax evasion would that be then?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Especially as the UK has already signed up to implement the latest EU rules on tax havens and the like, that some remainers were claiming was the reason behind the leave campaign.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I somehow doubt the 17m odd people who voted Leave are all tax-dodgers, but rather ordinary, hard-working people who got sick to death of the EU interfering in every aspect of their day-to-day lives. Like for example the EU's banning the dredging of watercourses which eventually gave rise to the catastrophic flooding some folks have recently had to endure - and has absurdly been blamed on climate change. In fact it would not surprise me one iota if the EU imposed the ban on dredging with the *intention* it would in time cause widespread flooding which could then be falsely attributed to AGW.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Hayter's been reading Plowman's malicious nonsense, clearly. There is no foundation to these foolish accusations. International tax evasion *is* a serous issue that needs addressing, especially IRO the large, multinational corporations. But that is no business whatsoever of the EU's, but rather that of the OECD and organisations such as Transparency Interational.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It didn't.

Reply to
mm0fmf

It's a marvellous bizarre conspiracy theory that it was done to support global warming though! I wonder if this chap shoots random people in case they are giant lizards inside?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

No, but it did put restrictions on it - and classed the silt removed as waste, making it unnaffordable to dispose of the large quantities generated by intensive dredging operations.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

It did