OT: Electric Car Charger

I've already got 25mm^2 tails between fuse head and meter - which I think were upgraded when the meter was changed some years ago.

Reply to
Roger Mills

What DC-DC converter? Home charge-points - even the 3-phase 21kE variety

- feed AC to the car. AC to DC conversion is done in the car's inbuilt charger. [Some cars can also accept a DC input, but this is only available in ultra-fast chargers at motorway service stations, etc.]

Reply to
Roger Mills

Nothing wrong with that as long as it gives you sufficient time to charge up for the number of miles you need to do. If you were doing hundreds of miles per day, this wouldn't work.

Reply to
Roger Mills

My wrong, I though the charging points were smarter than that. I guess it's obvious that the charging would be an in-car module.

That also then gives rise to the question if the in-car charger is double insulated, less need for a local earth.

Most wiring I have have seen for external chargers has been SWA, which doesn't need any RCD at the feeder end. So just one needed in the charge-point.

Reply to
Fredxx

My 32A charge point gives me 24 miles of motoring in an hour. I'd assume that a 13A would giive about 10 miles.

Reply to
charles

Current transformer, Arduino, keypad to accept a code that you give out, contactor to power it up when it gets a good code. Log data to SD card or better still wifi it back to your LAN.

This is DIY, after all.

Reply to
newshound

You can't miniaturise the Watt.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Pretty sure there?s such a thing as a milliwatt. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

in where? What most people call a car charger is not much more than a mains relay, DC chargers aren't really for homes.

I found a 32A 230V transformer (for isolating the shore supply to a boat) it cost nearly a grand and weighed 24kg ... I think I'd stick with a type A RCD.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm not sure if you realise but the whole point of a *transformer* for a boat supply is to provide galvanic isolation for the boat to prevent (or at least reduce to a negligable level) corrosion of a metal boat. To do this it has to be a real, double wound magnetic core transformer.

A "type A RCD' would be rather irrelevant to such a connection.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes I'm aware, but I was just using it to illustrate that a transformer to handle that much power is no small device that you could just build into an EV "charger"

but it would be relevant for a car charger, which is what is being discussed.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It doesn't ...

it can be if you use high frequencies. E.g at 50kHz it can be 1000 times smaller...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK, I'll disappear back down my hole! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

The last time I played with anything that clever was when the BBC B was in schools!

Probably 75m or so to the furthest and not particularly line of sight.

Still if it is that easy, there ought to be an affordable unit somewhere.

Reply to
Tim Lamb