OT: Electric Blanket with Memory Foam Mattresses

Has anyone got any real experience of using electric under-blankets with memory foam mattresses?

I ask because the jury seems to be out on the subject i.e. some say yes and some say no. Most manufacturers seem to not want to comment.

The intention is to use said under-blanket for about 20-30 minutes just to warm the bed before retiring for the night.

Reply to
Percy

In message , Percy writes

No problem with safety but it does defeat the function of memory-foam mattresses whereby the intended benefit is that they mould to your body shape. Have such a relatively inflexible material in-between will prevent that. Why not use an over-blanket?

Reply to
usenet2012

In message , Percy writes

We bought one of these after bad experiences with electric blankets - it's great for warming feet and any other cold 'bits', it's totally electrically safe, has no hot water to leak out, and furthermore it stays warm ALL NIGHT long.

David Chapman

Probably because heat rises not drops? I'm a bit wary of electric blankets myself.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think there is a possibility they can over heat. A normal mattress has not much insulation you lie on whereas the memory foam is 200mm thick.

Reply to
harry

That is normally why people use a blanket/sheet/duvet to cover themselves

- it traps the heat. Will also trap the heat from an over blanket. You don't put it on top of the duvet!

So an over blanket usually works well. Also, if switched on before you get into bed it also warms the sheets and mattress.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts