OT Driving licences

From Brian's point of view the cyclists aren't allowed on the pavement, so they aren't such a big risk.

And as for tested - what do you think should be the minimum age for a bicycle licence? Think carefully about all the parents and children who might be upset, and not vote for you...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I wish you would all get the description right, they are not cyclists, they are "Pedal Powered Organ Donors"! I believe they head the list of preferred applicants on account of quantity, age and fitness.

Reply to
Capitol

Age of criminal responsibility. Or make the licence compulsory only for cyclists over 16, with proof of age cards.

In London, make it compulsory for anyone riding on the road or cycle network to wear a badge or armband of some sort, with an ID card to match, which is only issued if you pass a test. Then withdraw it and impound the bike if they break any of the laws referred to in the Highway Code. This can already be done for motor vehicle drivers, and fair's fair..

If they "forget" to put the armband on, then they will be able to recover the bike from a main holding depot on the outskirts, miles away from any public transport on presentation of the armband and paying a fee to cover the administration costs.

Reply to
John Williamson

When you renew, do quickly check that it covers you for all that the previous one did. Radio 4 did a program about this a year back, and quite a few people find that the new license mistakenly covers you for less. Often this is loss of some entitlement you wouldn't have if you took your test nowadays, but in one case, an HGV driver's license was returned without the HGV entitlement. DVLA only keep the old licenses for 2 months, after which it's impossible to get any mistake corrected. (The HGV driver didn't notice until some time afterwards, and DLVA point blank refused to correct it or take into account photocopies of his old drivers license which his employer had on record - he was left having to retake his HGV test.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel scribbled...

The driving licence is a very important document, when you have to change details, address or even cop for endorsements, you don't have to send the original licence in. You can claim you've lost it and pay the £20 or so for a duplicate. When it's returned, check all of the details are correct - including the photograph. If there are any problems, you've still got proof of test passes etc, which you can confirm when you suddenly find your lost licence.

Old licences are also useful for ID purposes, but don't use a old clean one to get cheap insurance, 'cos you could well get caught when the insurance company or the old bill check the current, up to date licence.

Reply to
Jabba

John Williamson scribbled...

... until you get 6 points for not being insured.

Reply to
Jabba

It's fallen out of fashion in recent years, but what's wrong with branding on the forehead?

Very popular in the 17th century.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Not permitted, but certainly allowed to. I saw a 4-wheeler, partly covered and with a very fat man in it, doing, we (my then GF and I) about 10 - 12mph to catch the green light at a crossing. That sort of thing hitting chidren - even adults - could kill more than one. It's not a 'flexible' lump and is poorly, if at all, controlled. I've been hooted at by a crip-crate (my last GF's nmae for hers), on a footway, when I was walking at about 4.5mph. The damned thing had caught up with me and then had the cheek to imply that I was in the way. They are cars and should be on the carriageway. A user of one said something like 'they're too dangerous on roads'. Well if they're too dangerous on roads they'e a lot more dangerous on footways and in shops. I spoke to a chap who wasn't allowed to take his hand-powered trike into a shopping centre but he was allowed to take his wheelchair or crip-crate in there. The trike has proper steering and brakes - the wheelchair hasn't.

Reply to
PeterC

If "not permitted" was not done we wouldn't need a police force.

Reply to
PeterC

I do know of someone who was nicked for using his in "fast mode" on a pavement.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ummm... Do you want to rethink that?

Reply to
Adrian

There are always those stretching the limits. Near me there was a large 3-wheel device with side-by-side seating for two. I don't know if it was ever actually permitted, but it was quite alarming to see it heading for you on the pavement.

I suspect the owner isn't up to driving it any more, which may well be best for all concerned.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

No. The powers and authorities exist to prevent them; Nothing Is Done. It's not like most offences which are clandestine.

Reply to
PeterC

So by "allowed to", you mean "not every single instance is clamped down on"...?

Reply to
Adrian

That speed is not actually possible with an invalid carriage. They are limited by the manufacturer to a maximum of 8mph, which should still not be used on the pavement.

At that speed, you should have been pulling away from it, if it was being used at the legal pavement limit of 4mph.

They are not cars, but there certainly appears to be a case for requiring a certificate of competence before allowing anybody to use a Class 3 carriage, with its choice of speeds.

Reply to
Nightjar

Not trolley vehicles?

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , "Nightjar "@?.?.invalid> writes

Not that I noticed:-)

The track laying bit might be helpful if I achieve my ambition of swapping the JCB for a small tracked digger.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 18:05:30 +0100, Nightjar >> Only Class 3 invalid carriages can do 8mph and, like Class 1 and Class

A colleague had a BSA 3-wheeler that was slow. When BSA sent a questionaire he put something over 100mph on it - Santa Pod only of course. He also had a Bedford van (this is about 50-odd years ago), road-legal, with a V8 amidships. Just because it's made one way... I found a site when I was looking for crip-crates that might suit my GF that trikes with some off-road capability. If a 4-wheeler had been available she might have had one. I bet those trikes didn't come from the manufacturer with cross-country tyres and bigger wheels - the wheels alone would make it a bit faster.

Reply to
PeterC

On 22/07/2014 08:27, PeterC wrote: ...

They almost certainly did. It is a niche market, but cross-country invalid carriages are manufactured.

Reply to
Nightjar

/ They almost certainly did. It is a niche market, but cross-country invalid carriages are manufactured/q

Indeed as tested by Clarkson et al

Bit here

Jim K

Reply to