OT Cyclists and imperial measurements?

Cyclists have many irrational beliefs, but I doubt their household policy would cover them for an expensive car damaged or a death.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Move to Africa?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mine covers me, but I do have them as insured items too.

Reply to
dennis

Covers you for what?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes, I was going to ask the same question. Does the household insurance cover against injuring someone or damage to property caused when riding the bike?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Mine does not appear to, even though the bike itself is insured.

Reply to
charles

You mean, if you are out and about on the bike, and lets say come off it and bend a wheel, *that* is covered?

Reply to
Tim Streater

accidental loss or damage to the pedal cycle is covered - yes. but not if I'm using it for trade or business.

Reply to
charles

What about if you caused a car to swerve and it hit a bus queue?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

nothing about that in the policy document. And, anyway, I haven't riden it for 12 years since I got knocked off by an idiot motorist who tried to overtake me on a narrow road with a car coming the other way.

Reply to
charles

Its supposed to, if I can find the policy I will check.

Reply to
dennis

The wear a vehicle puts on the road is proportional to the 4th power of its weight. I'd happily pay my 0.15p per year to use my bicycle on the roads. I already pay 10p to insure it.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

It depends on the policy. Read the tiny small print. Then read it again, with a magnifying glass, then give up and buy a policy that *does* cover you for third party liability.

Reply to
John Williamson

There's no point in *me* reading such a policy, now is there? I'm trying to get a cyclist to read *his* and comment accordingly.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You have a point. Can lycra louts read? Other cyclists seem to be fairly sensible, IME, so shouldn't need insurance, though some of the Boris Bike users in London seem to be getting a bit more aggressive lately.

Reply to
John Williamson

... irrelevant.

Use the roads. pay taxes.

Reply to
Huge

It is relevant. A mega-ton HGV pays greater Vehicle Excise Duty than a mini.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

It does, but the amount is not related to weight.

Use the roads, pay taxes.

I want cyclists to be treated like other road users; I want them to be taxed, tested (both bike and rider), registered (with plates), insured, properly lit and prosecuted when they ride on the pavement or through red lights.

Then I might consider giving a shit about listening to their bleating.

Reply to
Huge

it's only "mechanically propelled vehicles" that need all this. Horse riders, those using a horse (or ox) pulled vehicle are not required to have all this, so why single out cyclists?

I did cycle, usually just to the shops - until some idiotic motorist knocked me off. Not all cyclists are "lycra louts"

Reply to
charles

Which bit of "I want ..." is it that wasn't clear?

Because (i) they whinge and bleat and moan and whine about not being treated like proper road users, (ii) they are monstrous hypocrites, treating pedestrians in exactly the same way they complain they are treated by motorists & (iii) they justify all this by a logical fallacy, called "tu quoque", in essence the playground cry of "Please, Miss, he did it first".

IME, the majority are.

Reply to
Huge