double-glazing measurements

call me picky but my double-glazing contractors should:0

firstly, make a rough-ish measurement of window sizes in order to prepare a quote

secondly, if accepted, make a second true measurement, which, in my book, means hacking through plaster to get down to brickwork in order to make true measurements

--

Gill Smith

If you need the windows a close fit to unrendered external brick, as I did, you measure, measure and measure - at different heights and at various points across (brickwork is seldom parallel, vertical or horizontal!).

With care you can get a 5mm +/- gap all round which seals nicely with foam and sealant.

However, if the finish is rendered outside and plastered inside, it is less important.

Once the frames have a few fixings and are foamed in (they will do that) you could have an inch gap and be pretty solid.

As long as the frames are a bit bigger so they will recess into the plaster and render, you won't tell once it is made good.

One question I would put to them though:

Will they make good the plaster/render or just slap trim all round. The latter is the default usually unless you specify (and pay for) the extra work to do the former.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Reply to
cynic

Can't you see the brickwork on the outside without needing to hack any plaster off?

Reply to
Roger Mills

unfortunately the exterior is rendered

--

Gill Smith

They will measure to the size of the opening in the render. It opens up a whole tin of worms if they start messing about with the rendering or cement fillet over the brickwork of the exterior opening. What if it all falls off when they 'it wi' 'ammer? Would you be happy to pay for having the house re-rendered? They certainly won't want to pay.

Remember to specify that plaster work/render is to be made good with plaster/render not plastric trim bits stuck on over the gaps. They may or may not foam the windows in. They may or may not seal them properly, under cills seems to always get forgotten. They may or may not seal the window onto a cill properly such that driven rain can get into the wall behind the outer frame sealing.

DG fitters don't you just luv'em.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

actally, exterior re-rendering and interior re-plastering is on the agenda

so maybe I should spell this out

but I am miffed about the guy, *unprompted*, saying thata surveyor would be along to get a true measure

when a phone call this afternoon says they have the true measure

this smells of sharp practise

--

Gill Smith

Do you know what profile the frame is made of. I know what mine is and how to measure it without getting through to the brick work.

That, to me, tells me the surveyor has recognised the window frame profile and knows the size of the frame. It is easy to calculate from the beading.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

good enough for a quote since the manufacturing costs are calculated to the nearest 100 mm or whatever. Once you've accepted the quote, the "surveyor" tales a closer look, assesses the render/plaster, and generally discusses any potential problems. They usually know from experience where the edge of a window frame is, even if it's partly overlapped with render. FWIW I've never had reason to criticise DG fitters.

Reply to
stuart noble

The problem seems to be that the surveyor is *not* taking a closer look.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Then presumably he doesn't need to. It'll be their problem if they hit snags

Reply to
stuart noble

The surveyor who came to me in January said that usually once he'd measured one window he knew what the rest would be - didn't stop him checking though.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

I agree. I would expect a rough measure from the klod who comes around to do a quote. Then a surveyor comes over to measure more accurately and to cast a more expert eye over each proposed install to confirm sizes and any potential issues. I wouldn't expect the surveyor to turn up until the contract has been agreed.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I tried that once, on an estate house by a large building co (with a helicopter in the advert) All the windows were the same width, 6 feet (imperial) The one I didn't measure (poor access) was metric width. The replacement (timber) needed some work with a plane to make it fit. I no longer assume anything.

Reply to
<me9