measurements:

How do get correct inside measurements using a tape measure.eg baseboard length between 2 walls, I am usually over length because of the bend in the tape against the wall?

Sal

Reply to
sal

Make a coupe of 2" long blocks, set them against the wall and measure between them. Add 4.

Reply to
Richard

length between 2 walls ....

Another approach is to measure a distance, say 12", from one wall -- make a light mark, ... and then measure up to that mark from the opposite wall. Add the 12", and you've got your measurement.

Reply to
joeljcarver

Most tapes tell you how long the case is so you can but the tape against th= e wall and add the length of the case. After a try or two you can get a goo= d feel for where to read to. Look on your tape body and see if it says 2" o= r something like that along one edge.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

You cut to the nearest quarter of an inch for baseboard? That must look nice.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Lots of caulking or forty coats of paint!!

basilisk

Reply to
Josepi

I like to cut a stick to exactly 10 or 12 inches long, butt that up against one wall, then measure to the end of the stick from the other wall with the tape. Don't forget to add the length of the stick to your measurement! (DAMHIKT)

Reply to
Larry W

Aside: If your resulting baseboards are not flush with the floor, check back here. There is a non-obvious way to make them fit tightly.

Reply to
HeyBub

Don't keep us in the dark! If not caulk or scribe & plane/sand, ?

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

The obvious way is to toenail them down with finishing nails (at 45 degrees up from horizontal) into the bottom plate.

2 non-obvious ways would be steaming prior to laying (obviously not for the MDF paper baseboard products) or scribing and cutting, planing, or sanding to fit. I wonder what technique he uses.

-- Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was thinking of scribing and aggressive sanding/planing. Oh, I know it's clear, cogent, and convincing to the experienced hand, but it was a revelation to me just starting out on home remodeling.

I nearly twitched to death the first time I tried the technique.

Reply to
HeyBub