ot: cpc - why pdf for this?

CPC seem pretty good at getting orders out but if there for items that are on back order they send a separate email with a pdf attachment saying so This is a right pig of a thing to do - why not just send it as a plain email to which one can easily reply without the cranking up a pdf reader and wasting b.w.

Reply to
dave

Yeah.That must be a really serious problem for you ...:-)

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Yes, that additional 2 seconds it takes to open could have been put to better use.

slider

It annoys me too as there's something strange about their PDFs which won't open on this machine which gets used for email etc. I have to transfer them to the PC to read them. Other PDFs including their specification sheet ones open just fine here. An HTML attachment would suit me better as this reader will convert that to plain text immediately.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sending out emails where any attachment isn't properly replicated as plaintext could be added as a clause to Dennis' "Capital Crimes for Posession of Stolen Goods" bill.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley wibbled on Thursday 28 January 2010 14:39

What if the email if being read on a phone? Mine can manage text, but not Acroread files. Ditto attaching a word doc for one paragraph of plain text. I've told a school off for doing that...

The OP has a point - why waste everyone's time, including the computers, to do something that is as well done in ASCII?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Earthquake in Haiti; Britain virtually bankrupt - certainly morally bankrupt and a broken society; a gazillion other things worthy of worrying about and you complain about CPC sending out pdf files. Sheesh!!!

Reply to
Dave

Quite, they have dropped the plain text from the daily "Deals" notices as well. "If you have any problems viewing the images below please click..."

FOAD, if you want to communicate with me do it in a means I can understand. Their website is broken as well, I can't see anything other than the lone quantity number when looking at a list of products.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Quite. And this kind of behaviour (text in attachments) is usually indicative of idiothood somewhere along the line. Do you really want to do business with a company whose IT is designed by idiots?

Reply to
Huge

My solicitors send PDFs because they cant be fiddled about with, can't see why CPC would need to though...

You should send them emails telling them of the PDF bug in their system, call it a bug and it might get to their programmers! [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

In their dreams, maybe. In real life, it's trivial to alter them.

Reply to
Huge

Maybe because most folk have Acrobat Reader they think they won't know about the other members of the Adobe Acrobat family .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

There's another sort?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The only reason I can think of is that they want to ensure that the attached 'file' is not tampered with. PDF is not editable if encrypted, Wundoez users can't easily edit even unencrypted ones. But it's daft.

Complain loudly and take your business elsewhere.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

They can be fiddled with. It may be harder to hide the fact they have been fiddled with.

Reply to
dennis

Quite.

If you don't want to do business with a company that uses a portable format that isn't screwed by a whole myriad of browsers and platforms, then take your business elsewhere.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

because email - especially Microsoft email, is totally crap at formatting anything.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It may well be a 'portable' format, but that doesn't mean it hasn't changed over the ages. Plain text has more or less stayed the same. There are two PDF readers being actively developed for this OS but neither will read the CPC PDFs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So what's plainm text then?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

After all, ASCII is *so* hard to render.

Reply to
Huge