OT Conjuring Tricks

A young person of about 12, a distant sort-of relation, seems to be fascinated by card tricks.

Does anyone here (obvious reference to Mr Medway!) know of any books, or videos, which would be entertaining and help her to learn some basic tricks? Or let me mug up before I next see her to that I can impress! (That's the DIY bit.)

Reply to
polygonum

There is probably still a "Teach yourself conjuring" book at about the right level for a teenager interested in magic. That is how I learnt.

I expect there are much better illustrated modern books now.

If you can master it then "Out of this world" card trick done well is very impressive. Though you should only ever do it once.

You might find some easier ones on there. (not that I approve of disclosing the workings of magic)

It is alleged that Churchill demanded to see it done three times in succession when it was a novel trick and still didn't figure it out.

Reply to
Martin Brown

harry

polygonum scribbled

Dozens of YouTube

Jonno

A. "Pick a card, any card. Now, which card do you have?"

B. "3 of clubs" (or whatever)

A. "Wrong, I win!"

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

I gave "Magic Mike's Miraculous Magic Tricks" to a ten-year-old relative and it was well received. Depending on the sophistication of your about-twelve-year-old it might meet the need:

or

Amazon has several similar titles linked from that page.

If a trip to London is a possibility, a visit to Davenport's famous magic shop will yield a good few expert suggestions:

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

For a more adult-orientated work that's entirely about card magic, I recommend Self-working Card Tricks by Karl Fulves:

or

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

This is an excellent starter book that includes cards, coins & all sorts;

Bert's suggestion of Self-working Card Tricks by Karl Fulves is a good one.

A good place to visit for tricks is Peter Nardi's

The ultimate reference is Roberto Giobbi's remarkable Card College books vol's 1 - 5, but they are highly advanced, not for a beginner and not cheap @ £30 a volume.

HTH

Reply to
David Lang

And for a demonstration of how good magic can affect an audience:

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

A *better late than never* admission is that I managed to play Solo Whist, Poker etc. during 5th. form lunch hour for a whole year without anyone spotting that the pack was marked! Be suspicious of any pack that has a multi-petal floral display at each corner.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Wonderful!!!! Thanks!

J.

Reply to
Another John

Yes, I too am able to search. But I wanted recommendations - hopefully from personal experience of some sort.

Reply to
polygonum

Thank you - will be looking at both younger and older suggestions.

Reply to
polygonum

Youtube reveals all

Reply to
alan_m

I've had audience like that :-)

Reply to
David Lang

Easy to spot if you riffle the cards, it looks like one of those flip books.

Reply to
David Lang

Yes - that's the beauty of this group! It's one thing finding answers via searching; it's quite another to have the opinions on those answers from intelligent, experienced users. We (Usenet users) are a dying breed, though :-(

John

Reply to
Another John

Some deader than others, I'd warrant. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Very wise. There is a big difference between knowing how they are done and knowing how to do them.

Reply to
David Lang

+1 Laughed out loud !
Reply to