OT{ sort of .Slow computer

Hi Guys

I am having the slow computer problems that creep up on us. I have not installed anything new but the machine is getting slower and slower.

Is it possible to replace the motherboard and expect windows7 to jump into life with a new younger and faster hart or am I doomed to the nightmare of having to do a new install?

Anyone on here tried it?

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Have you tried any of the usual things - cleaning up old install files from Windows Update and the like?

Windows gradually clogs up and slows down without some housekeeping now and then.

Have you looked at the Performance Monitor to confirm that it is the processor which is being over used? It may be some other component.

*If you have a lot of spare CPU capacity then a faster processor may not solve your problems. *If you are running out of memory (and therefore swapping to disc) then more memory may solve your problem. *If your disc is being maxed out then (as already suggested) a faster HDD or an SSD could solve your problem.

For specific advice it would help us if you told us what mother board and processor you currently have, what memory (amount, type, speed), which HDD and how much free space.

If you change mother board Microsoft will regard that as a new computer - so you will have to re-authenticate your OS. So you will need the licence key. I haven't personally re-authenticated a Windows system but I understand that it can be done.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Windows wont work on a new MB without a reinstall anyway.

Time for linux perhaps. Or you could defrag what's left of windows

I see two routes:

1/. New machine, new windows reinsmtall everything and copy old disk

2/. New disk more RAM install Linux and copy old data across and install everything - up to to windows in a VM if you must

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Generally, +1.

Reply to
RJH

Yes. Linux on SSD tales about 2.5 seconds to boot from selecting it at GRUB level, to having a GUI login prompt..

more like 25 secs from SATA..spinning rust...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

no

I'd stop unused programs starting up at boot time, that's usually the culprit. Then replace apps with better written unbloated versions.

Or put linux on a new machine. Seriously.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

:-)

Depending on how often you boot it may not be worth a lot of effort just to save 22.5 seconds once in a blue moon.

If mission critical software runs faster, of course.....

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Have you actually done any maintaining of things on the machine? Ccleaner, a defrag, and a look to see what crap is running in the background that need not be?

All reinstalling will do is put the same issue off till next time. i remember speeding a machine up just after Christmas by the simple task of uninstalling stealth software downloaded silently to run some girly type xmas card animation software that ran every bloomin time and used up 26 percent of processor while doing nothing at all. Who writes and tests this crap?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Except when they fail of course. I still think there is mileage in cleaning out the dross. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

the most noticeable thing is that if you are RAM limited and cant hold every program you might want in RAM permanently, *they* load up a lot faster as well.

I haven't checked out swap speed up, but that to must be fairly massive

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's not true. It depends on how big a change it is. Going from an old AMD board to a new Intel board will probably struggle. I have swapped disks between similar main boards without problems.

Reply to
dennis

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

Complete and utter bullshit.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

IIRC you are advised to avoid swapping on an SSD as this ups the wear and shortens the service life.

If you are running out of RAM and can't get any more in, then the system is probably not suited to the workload.

I know that back in the day swapping/paging was necessary because of the high cost of memory, but these days you should be able to run most things without having to swap.

There was a period when XP systems ran into glue because they were sold with 521 KB and worked fine until creeping bloat filled all the memory.

At that point, upgrading to 1 GB suddenly speeded the system up again.

These days you need more - my system is using 4.1 GB of the 6 GB available but this is probably due to me having a large number of tabs open in Chrome.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Malwarebytes, AV, Spybot, Superantispyware, defrag, msconfig, (Run in W7) defrag before you do something Very silly like trying to shove a new motherboard in. SSD ffs .........! You can also untick some MS Services that you do not need. Google is your friend here, but be careful. I did all of the above to a machine that was slower than Britains economic growth and got excellent results.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Gary scribbled

Here's a free program you can use to check if you HD is causing your problems

free-full-version.33251/

Reply to
Jonno

This is life under Windows is it? I'll give it a miss if it's all the same to you.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It is worth having a go with various anti-malware delousers and/or registry cleaners and disk defragmenters (after testing that the disk itself isn't failing). An astonishing amount of dross can clutter up an old Windoze machine and slow it to a crawl as it gets older.

One friends PC I saw had become so slow you could go and make a cup of tea and drink it before it finished booting. Someone else had helpfully turned off SMART to avoid the screen cluttering up with error msgs. The thing was seriously on its last legs and beyond all help.

Hardly ever works if the OS notices a "significant" change it will be awkward and want to be revalidated. If you are out of luck some radical hardware changes can result in a machine that refuses to boot.

Make sure everything is properly backed up and assume the worst. Adding an SSD as the master boot disk is probably a better option for extending a PC's life (again you will need to reconfigure the OS).

Reply to
Martin Brown

A repair install works fine.

Reply to
john james

The big gain is in application and library load times rather than boot time. Yes boot is faster, but you don't do that nearly as often. Having Word etc load in around 0.5 secs each time you open a doc soon adds up to a big saving in your time. PS CS5.1 x64 loads in 3 secs. Firefox in under 1 sec etc.

Reply to
John Rumm