OT: British made motors take over the Mall

Yes, you've seen it before. This is something wonderful the BBC should now repeat at prime time and kill this 'slaying ourselves' attitude that seems to be breeding and making the UK IMO laughing stocks viewed by the rest of the world.

Top Gear: Series 20 Episode 6 - BBC Two

In other news ...

  • We need to showcase the confidence and ingenuity we have.

  • We need to seriously man up with negotiations skills, because in various sectors we need them.

  • We need to discuss the issues and the resolutions, without bitterness.

  • We want to give hope to the young without the civil unrest we had a few years back.

  • We need a stable business confident government, open and accountable.

  • We need the press to support growth outside their own self interests.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

If we have to pay a tariff on those we export to Europe we will be making even less vehicles.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

And if we charge a tariff on those being imported from Germany, they will be making even less vehicles.

Oh, look, that means we will buy they locally made ones instead!

So they won't be making even less vehicles after all. They will in fact be making more!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, we'll buy them ourselves! Cut out the German imports.

Reply to
Capitol
[32 lines snipped]

"Fewer".

You're welcome.

Reply to
Huge

Well in the case of Volkswagen, not only from Germany, but Seat (Spain), Skoda (Czech Republic), Audi (Germany), Bugatti (France), Ducati (Italy), MAN commercial vehicles & VW commercial vehicles. I think putting a tariff on all those imported vehicles would certainly make someone say *Ouch!*. The only ones made in the UK are Bentleys.

Reply to
Martin Barclay

The automotive industry in the UK turned over £59.3 billion in 2012 and accounts for around 10% of all UK exports. In 2013 more than 1.5 million cars and more than 2.5 million engines were produced in the UK according to the SMMT.

This is a global industry investing on a large scale in UK manufacturing. In 2011 global manufacturers announced investments in new models and expansion of existing facilities worth more than £4 billion. British owned =============

Morgan Motor Company Ltd » (Aero, 4/4, Plus 4, Plus 8, Roadster, 4 seater, 3 wheeler)

Caterham Cars Ltd » (Seven)

Mclaren Automotive » (MP4-12C and P1) Made in Britain ===============

The following companies build cars in Britain, but are not UK owned.

MINI ? build the MINI, MINI Clubman, Coupe and Roadster in Cowley, Oxford, but are owned by BMW in Germany.

Honda build the Civic, CRV and Jazz(from autumn 2009) in Swindon.

Toyota build the Auris and Avensis in Derbyshire.

Nissan build the Juke, Qashqai, Note and LEAF in Sunderland.

Lotus in Norfolk are Malaysian owned and build the Elise, EWvora and Exige

Aston Martin in Gaydon, Warwickshire build the DB9, Rapide, Virage, DBS and one-77 and are owned by two Kuwaiti companies ? Investment Dar and Adeem Investments.

Bentley Motors in Crewe (owned by Volkswagen) builds the Continental, Flying Spur and Mulsanne

Rolls Royce builds the Ghost, Phantom and Wraith in Goodwood and is owned by BMW.

Jaguar/Land Rover cars (F-type, XJ, XF, XK, Defender, Discovery, Evoque, Freelander, Range Rover, Range Rover Sport) are built in the West Midlands and Liverpool but owned by Tata Motor Company of India.

MG Motors build the MG3 and MG6 at Longbridge, Birmingham ? owned by SAIC of China.

Vauxhall Motors are part of General Motors and build Astras at Ellesmere Port and the Vivaro van in Luton

Ford stopped passenger car production in the UK in 2002 and Transit production in Southampton in July 2013 but continues to manufacture engines in Bridgend and Dagenham and transmissions in Halewood.

Ricardo is UK based although it has offices all over the globe

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just as a footnote here, the quality of the vehicles produced by Nissan (UK) are /so/ good, that they are actually exporting them to Japan.

Yup, the UK car industry is alive & well. Some weeks ago in the Indian Express, they said that there are some restrictions regarding exports to India from the EU. They said that after Brexit, it's likely that trade barriers would be removed & the UK would be able to export more to the country. It was reported that if Britain gets the treatment as applicable to a non-member country, it may lead to positive impact on India?s imports & exports.

Reply to
Martin Barclay

Yup. India is as big a market as the EU I think, potentially.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This is the attitude I do not understand. Rover proved time and again that they couldn't make a car that wouldn't fall apart or that anyone actually wanted to buy. There's a reason the roads are full of Mercs, BMs, Audis & VWs. Hell, even the French have more of a car industry than we do and they make crap on a par with BL.

Reply to
Scott M

Simply not true.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I agree. They have never reached the depths of BL.

Reply to
Bob Eager

'We' don't pay the tariffs on export !!. The importing country pays the tariff.

If we impose similar tariffs on German, Dutch, French, Spanish and Italian cars, then we will collect lots more than the tariffs imposed on our exported cars.

Reply to
Andrew